Dovetail Template hole

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morpheus83uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been using the below dovetail marker for a while now and it works fine. My question is what is the hole for on it? I have looked about and cant seem to find an answer but it seems to be on many designs?

My only thought is maybe for a pencil or a scribe? To mark the wood but why at that particular place? Is it standard? Or is it just there for decoration?

Dovetail Marker

Thanks

James

It's done to save on the cost of postage.;) or reasons to that effect.

According to the description, "The outer edges have dovetail slopes of 1:5 on one side and 1:8 on the other. The inner cutouts offer additional slopes of 1:6 and 1:10. "

I think you'd be far better off making one yourself from a scrap of hardwood, with just the one angle you actually need. No risk of using the convenient other side and so marking a wrong line.

Ah, looking again, I guess you mean that round hole through the block. Looks totally redundant. Could it have been to hold the metal while the machining was done?

But my second comment stands.

Thanks for your responses.

I have seen others which have two holes as well but again no idea why they are there. I love the idea of using it as a whistle though genius!

Thanks

Latest posts

Back