Dovetail saw restoration - WIP - Finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well after all the holes were drilled, it was sanded again LOL.

Then it about 8 coats of 1lb cut shellac applied, then 2 coats of wax.

Then it was time to fit it to the saw plate. :shock: Handle on, threads on screws too big for holes in plate - yes i should have checked first. :oops:

Holes enlarged. Handle back on, bolts not fitting too well. #-o Handle off, adjust holes. Handle back on for a trial. Handle on/ off for 10 min while adjustments to the handle were made. (hammer)

Eventually it all goes together. Screws tighten up ok, will check once a week or so as the timber settles.

20140202_141730.jpg

20140202_141724.jpg

20140202_141745.jpg

So now as i have sharpened it incorrectly, #-o i need to do it again. :lol:

Onto the next project :-k

I looked at a tennon saw I have in the corner of the workshop today thinking I might have a go one day.... but noticed the bolts that hold the handle on where rounded on both sides.... no slots or anything to undo them. Any ideas how I'ld get the handle off?

Looks great by the way!!

Melinda_dd":27go5iom said:
I looked at a tennon saw I have in the corner of the workshop today thinking I might have a go one day.... but noticed the bolts that hold the handle on where rounded on both sides.... no slots or anything to undo them. Any ideas how I'ld get the handle off?

Looks great by the way!!

That was the same with mine. They use either rivets like on yours. Or screws like on my new handle.
With mine i used a pair of pincers and was able to pull the one side off. I have done that on 2 saw handles now, without damaging the old handle. :)

Try this site for handles, i got mine from their, well until i modified the drawing i chose :lol:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j& ... 7877971450

There are one or two to choose from. ;)

And thank you. :)

Did you replace with screws for the new handle? If so where did you get them from..... or will there be screws under the side I pull off?

Thanks for that!! now I know where to go..... when I get round to it after the list as long as my arm of things I want to make!!!

Thank you Danny. :)

I need to decide on timber for the next one. ;) I liked how the maple looked without shellac on it. :-k

Back