Dovetail saw - Cross / Rip / one saw for both?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cornersruns

Reaction score
Hi all,
Not made any proper joints since school, several decades ago :roll: I've done a fair bit of rough woodwork, stud walls, garden storage boxes that sort of thing. Nothing I would consider fine woodworking.
I've been given the task of making a memory box for the SWMBO as her father passed away last year and she wants something to keep small bits and pieces of his in. Father in law was a keen turner so I want to make something he would appreciate.

Looking at getting a dovetail saw and Veritas seems to be the one most recommended for value in traditional western type saws. Not really interested in japanese or gents saws.

Now the question. I know traditional saw are cross or rip cut, my hand saws are all combination ( wickes specials mostly which do OK for my rough stuff ) Are any of the veritas versions suitable for both rip and cross cut i.e the 14tpi one. I'd rather only buy one saw to start with so any recommendations?

Cheers

I would get a rip pattern saw as dovetails are pretty much all ripping cuts and then you take out the remainders with a coping saw. The only part you'd really use a cross-cutting saw is on each end of the tailboard which can be done with a coping saw and pared back.

The Veritas Dovetail saw should be more than adequete.

Buy a rip toothed saw.

Finer-toothed rip saws will cross-cut quite efficiently and neatly, and are a bit easier to sharpen when the time comes. Finer toothed crosscut saws will rip, but slowly compared to the same pitch rip saw, so the rip filing is, all round, the better bet.

That's not quite so true for coarser-toothed saws, say about 10tpi and larger, when having dedicated rip saws for ripping and cross-cuts for cross-grain work becomes more desirable. It's still possible to cross-cut with a rip, but not very neatly, and it's possible to rip with a cross-cut, but it's slow going.

As above, a 14tpi rip will cross cut as well as rip. I have a Veritas which serves well.

John

Back