• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Dovetail saw, bog oak handle now SOLD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
This is surplus to requirements. It is a brass backed re-handled saw with 16PPI (rip cut), sharpened. To make it very clear, this is a restored old saw (make unknown), not a new saw. It's a little beauty, cuts really nicely, but I've got another virtually identical.

£50 inc p&p (UK mainland only.......I'll have to add some postage if it goes further afield).

RnyG2nG.jpg

Wn0ZBcQ.jpg

Va5fPoU.jpg

fo7T122.jpg

l38omb6.jpg

Last edited:
Is it? I'll have Carruthers flog me later.

I have to say I am never 100% confident in counting teeth, never being completely sure where to start and stop.

Edit...this site has confused me further. They claim TPI is American, and PPI is European...and then give an example which counts the tooth you start on and the tooth at the end of the inch....so they say 9 PPI when I look at it and see 8.

Last edited:
I'll trade you one of my woodturned boxes? They're made from Bog Oak.

Well, I say bog oak, I mean normal Oak.

Possibly Sweet Chestnut.

My opinion (thats all it is, but based on over 60 years of using saws). Lay the measuring stick against one tooth. DO NOT count that tooth. Count until you reach the inch mark.
The whole world is being corrupted by utube and untrained "experts"

So how would these Euro types do it? Firstly they would have to find an imperial rule, which they wouldn't have on principle, so they would settle for 25mm. This being 0.4mm short would mean they would count only 8 points - if they have good eyesight.
Euro reaction please.

Should we be discussing this on a For Sale item?
Brian

Should we be discussing this on a For Sale item?

It doesn't bother me. Noel's gone missing again. We're going to be getting a new mod team soon, and hopefully some new rules for the For Sale section. If someone in charge really takes ummbrage they'll clean out the thread, so I wouldn't worry.

It doesn't bother me. Noel's gone missing again. We're going to be getting a new mod team soon, and hopefully some new rules for the For Sale section. If someone in charge really takes ummbrage they'll clean out the thread, so I wouldn't worry.
Just said tongue-in-cheek

Latest posts

Back