Dovetail Practice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I spend some time just practicing instead of making things, I've been meaning to do this since last years Tools 2004, but something always got in the way.

So out comes the dovetail tools courtesy of Lie Neilsen and the Cosman DVD courtesy of Philly and some scraps from the offcut pile.

These are the first 5 attempts and I have to say there is a slight improvement ineach one.

Dovetails-001.jpg

Dovetails-002.jpg

I really thought I wasn't going to get the hang of these and would have to resort to the Leigh jig, but then somehow it clicked and this is the result of attempts 6 and 7.

Dovetails-003.jpg

Dovetails-004.jpg

Now I have to try some more to test consistency, none of the dovetails have been clued, just knocked together.

So, the saying of practice makes perfect is very true.

Waka, well done - they look good to me. Looking forward to seeing the first drawer.

Waka":3kriqxxe said:
none of the dovetails have been clued, just knocked together.
It's surprised me when I did my first test pieces quite how well a poorly cut DT holds together (not that yours are as poorly cut as my first tries).

Andy

Philly":3346qhl7 said:
So what you gonna use them on?? Any projects in mind??

Methinks they will get used on the wardrobe and tallboy I'm thinking of making this winter, maple with panel construction with BE maple inserts, this is assuming I get all the other projects out the way and have bought the tools for veneering.

Gosh, well done, Waka. =D> Not least for actually doing the practicing bit - I'm hopeless at that. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Lovely job Waka, well done on brilliant DTs - looking for oposts on furniture made with hand cut Dts next :wink:

Those Cosman DVDs are superb aren't they?

They look very impressive. The ability to handcut dovetails leaves me full of admiration.

Gill

Gill":3es55dy0 said:
The ability to handcut dovetails leaves me full of admirationl

Truly Gill, all it takes is a bit of practice. I am 100% certain you could do it easily, having seen your work on various projects. There are umpteen joints far more difficult than the dovetail (thankfully one is not forced to use them!) but in terms of bang for the buck where showiness is concerned, dovetails are hard to beat!

Good going, Waka :)

I couldn't see much wrong with 1-5, but 6 and 7 look very fine. I'm so inspired, I'll try to find some time this week for a little practice!

Gill":3ksy3say said:
The ability to handcut dovetails leaves me full of admiration.

Gill

I agree with Chris here, it great to see the little improvements as you practice, I have to say I couldn't have done it without Rob Cosmans DVD. Give it a go Gill, you will surprise yourself.

Oooh errrr... I'm being pressured! Perhaps I'll have a go when I've got a proper workbench with a vice and other such luxuries.

Gill

Ain't you the same guy that just put that cabinet up too. Your on fire.
Dovetails like that will put some extra jingle in your pocket. Heh? :lol:

Gill":1gej94jp said:
Oooh errrr... I'm being pressured! Perhaps I'll have a go when I've got a proper workbench with a vice and other such luxuries.

Gill

We'll be watching and waiting for thre pic's.

Slimshavings":1gej94jp said:
Dovetails like that will put some extra jingle in your pocket. Heh?

Unfortunately I'm a tottally non profit making organization, the things we do for the love of wood.

Great dovetails, better than my few practices, although the ones i've just done on the new workbench ain't too bad, so i guess the practice helps.

Hope you didn't suffer too much damage Dave.

Matt.

Back