Dovetail Marker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Having some difficulty making accurate dovetails I decided one of my problems was marking up the dovetail, I don't know if this one has been done before but I made the following marker:

1. Cut a small piece of hardboard (masonite) 3mm thick with 8 degree cuts down both sides.

2. Attached two arms with glue and screws to the hardboard, across top.

3. To create a clean & tight edge I put some brass angle to the edge of the 8 degree sides with superglue. ( could have also used strip brass)

Voila:-

dovetailmarker1r.jpg

dovetailmarkerr2.jpg

dovetailmarkerr3.jpg

Longer arms could have been attached if larger work envisaged.

Devon,

A dovetail marker which reaches over the end of the board so that you can also mark the straight line across the end at the same time you are marking the angle assists accuracy.

DW

Nice one! Chris's suggestion is right on the ball and the type of thing I use.

I would just cut the Ash flush with the start of your dovetail slope and square the ends across the jig, that way you can mark tails and top of board in one go

Here is Rob Cosman's version

dovetail%20marker.jpg

See your point re squaring across the top but without the arms I find that the marker rocks at the extreme end markings.
The first marker I made was without the arm extensions but I might use that for holding the saw to the line when cutting.

bugbear":6vrwzldr said:

On a nice looking piece of (guessing) English Walnut?

BugBear

Nice try bugbear :)

According to Rob's website
"The gauge is made from a single piece of Eastern Rock Maple"

I awoke, and thought I could make another dovetail marker as my original piece but invert the angle sides and then I would not need the arm rests that would then accomodate the top cut lines.

Mind you I am coming to the conclusion that a dovetail tail is not critical because you mark out the pin as the final cut setup to fit the tail accurately

Mind you I am coming to the conclusion that a dovetail tail is not critical because you mark out the pin as the final cut setup to fit the tail accurately

Correct Woody, the tail cuts are used as a template for the pins (or vice versa). A dovetail marker is really more helpful in laying it all out. What is critical is cutting straight. Without nice straight lines you will have gaps between tail and pin.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Correct Woody, the tail cuts are used as a template for the pins (or vice versa). A dovetail marker is really more helpful in laying it all out. What is critical is cutting straight. Without nice straight lines you will have gaps between tail and pin.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Correct Derek, so I am finding out. Going to try and cut dovetail tails using my bandsaw today and using blocks as spacers. I will crack this dovetail problem somehow.
Naturally I can cut these joints but wanting perfection for a jewellery case under construction which entails around 60 tails and pins to match.

Tony":3ku7cydk said:
bugbear":3ku7cydk said:

BugBear

Erm, on was probably the vital word you missed there, Tony... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1wnwbzu1 said:
Tony":1wnwbzu1 said:
bugbear":1wnwbzu1 said:

BugBear

Cheers, Alf

I was trying to be polite :lol:

Tony":6zq8f5wj said:
Alf":6zq8f5wj said:
Tony":6zq8f5wj said:
bugbear":6zq8f5wj said:

BugBear

Cheers, Alf

I was trying to be polite :lol:
Eh? :-s

Back