Dovetail Jig Tear Out Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG

Established Member
Reaction score
After two days of setting up my new Leigh Jig and well over a dozen or so test cuts, I'm loosing the will to live :)
I'm getting a lot of tear out, the below has been the worst so far. I've started my cuts on the right moving the router left
along the jig, the below board was facing me. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

It could be your plywood, have you tried solid wood?

Pete.

The only way you will stop ply from spelching like that is to back it up with a sacrificial board. I doubt you'll have the same issue with solid timber.

Leigh spell it out loud and clear in their manual, don't try dovetailing plywood because it'll spelch like crazy.

Thanks for the help chaps :) I haven't tried solid wood yet, trying to get a few boxes made in birch ply for our so she do her pyropraphy.

custard":1hk101vr said:
Leigh spell it out loud and clear in their manual, don't try dovetailing plywood because it'll spelch like crazy.

It would seem I've wasted £500.00 in that :shock:

I'm sending you a PM over something else :D

Looks like you're trying to cut finger joints, if so then maybe you would have more success with a spiral bit, high spin speed but slow router movement.

I've used the trend finger joint jig to do finger jointed ply drawers, I assume I had a piece behind the ply, which you can clamp and don't have to move, they do work, but as far as I was concerned didn't turn out as beautiful as I was hoping from a design point of view.

Nathan

If the aim is to produce drawers with birch ply fronts for pyrography,why not make softwood drawers and screw on a birch drawer front?

monkeybiter":2h9ftudp said:
Looks like you're trying to cut finger joints, if so then maybe you would have more success with a spiral bit, high spin speed but slow router movement.

Thanks ever so much Mike :) Just checked Axminsters site before heading off for one and their out of stock. Will give Wealden a call on Monday.

worn thumbs":3t0qchkw said:
If the aim is to produce drawers with birch ply fronts for pyrography,why not make softwood drawers and screw on a birch drawer front?

No intention to do drawers Worn Thumbs, just boxes :D

Back