Dovetail cutter pitch for jig??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought an Elu 40040 24" dovetail jig off Ebay. Perfect condition with all the extra bits. However the jig doesn't come with (and isn't meant to) a cutter - it just mentions using a 1/2" cutter, BUT it does go on about the pitch of the template being 22mm. Now how does this equate to the cutter I should use?

I was playing with it tonight using a standard 1/2" cutter from an old box set and doesn't seem quite right even having played with various things. The joint still appears tight. (I even managed to rout out some of one of the end stops - arghhh!)

I was planning to order a dovetail bit from Wealden tomorrow but they have a few. They have one which they mention is for Elu jigs - but then looking in the Trend catalogue so do they - and they both have different profiles!

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Gidon

Whoops this wasn't meant to be in "hand tools" - perhaps it could be moved?

Thanks Neil - did give them a call and they were very helpful as ever. Weren't entirely sure but we took a cautious guess ... Will let you know how it turns out.

Cheers

Gidon

(yippee - off to Yandles Show ...)

Hi Alf

Alf":21chafof said:
To hear is to obey.

Just have a word with the LOML and persuade her that I deserve to have a Jet Moulder. :lol:

Cheers
Neil

PS And ....
PS And ....
PS And ....
PS And ....
PS And ....
PS And ....
PS And ....

To alter the fit of a joint raise or lower the router bit by about 1/2 mm.I think it raise it if the joint is tight and lower if it is loose but test on a piece of scrap

Latest posts

Back