Douglas Fir Five-bar Gate issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAW911

Established Member
Reaction score
I have nearly finished a douglas fir five-bar gate, made from old boards I have saved for years for such a project. Just front cross braces to be fitted.
The issue is going to be finding stainless steel hanging furniture as the high acetic acid content precludes me using steel, even galvanised (all coach bolts are SS). Any alternative suggestions would be welcomed please as I cannot find sensibly priced SS parts.

Attachments

• F6E3531D-9966-4E2A-B84E-0A21C56279CA.jpeg
    F6E3531D-9966-4E2A-B84E-0A21C56279CA.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 31
  • C29EDF13-2A0D-4B08-9C0C-31D09CF366AF.jpeg
    C29EDF13-2A0D-4B08-9C0C-31D09CF366AF.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 31
stainless certainly ups the price. would an appropriate paint on the steel parts work as a barrier?

I would use standard galvanised hinges etc -you could paint the faces that touch the timber with a primer.

the main problem will be fixings that go into the timber -so use stainless bolts and screws

Ive used non stainless fittings on accoya many times and havent seen major issues -its impossible to get multipoint door locks in stainless -so I just paint the mortice hole

Same thing with oak -Id have no trouble using galvanised fittings on oak -Ive done may stable doors with hinges -all been fine (well they were fine whilst the cheque cleared :D )

Im not sure if Doug fir has a high acetic acid content Id be interested to know

Last edited:
I think that the slight acidity of Doug fir comes from tannin (another relatively weak organic acid) not acetic/ethanoic acid (which you'd be able to smell). I definitely would have no qualms using hot-dip galvanised hinges (any other material, you'd probably quicker have made to order!). The only timber where stainless is a must, is acetylated wood like Accoya.

I looked at Amazon.ca for Stainless Steel Gate Hinges and there are strap and T hinges up to 10". They are not necessarily cheap but you can get them.

Pete

Thanks for all of your replies. I shall probably end up painting a galvanised set as I can’t find SS. They must be the traditional style hinges for the gate. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back