Douglas fir blotching

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys I’ve hit a bit of a problem regarding finishing a Douglas fir project. Ive made three partition wall frames that are to be clad in t and g for a boat. The frames are finished with two coats of osmo clear oil. The first two frames have turned out great with a consistent absorbing of the oil but the third is coming out blotchy. As there was some time between the third frame been made i realised that I over sanded to 320grit I think closing the pores too much. To rectify I have resanded to 120grit but after a test the blotching is reduced but still present. Is it possible to use a sealer coat of Shellac before I oil? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yep that'd probably do it. I dont have any experience of finishing douglas to back that up but sanding sealer is good. You may want to wipe it over with meths first. I planed up a couple of lumps i got from my brothers sawmill and after a couple of werks so resin spots appeared in the grain. I havent used it yet. It wasnt kiln dried......

Back