Double sided tape

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Gibbs

Established Member
Reaction score
We want to do a test of double-sided tape. Does anyone have any suggestions? We have a list of some products, but don't want to miss anything.

Thanks

Nick

Currently Lidl are stocking some double sided tape in 50mm, and I know that Aldi sometimes have it. Not sure if you would want to go to that end of the market but it is just a suggestion? I think it is about £1.99 - £2.49 per roll of about 15metres

I have no connection to either store other than an occasional customer.

Pete

This should be interesting as I don't have any strong feelings on Double sided tape but have used some Tesa DST this week laying some Pig Suede, It did have a quality feel to it. We do use Tesa Veneer tape in the workshop which is excellent for hot pressing.
I must say I have a love/hate relationship with DST it's so good for jig making and fixing but a nightmare when people in the workshop stick it on machines and anything else they can't be bothered to G cramp :cry:
I will watch with interest, could this become a sticky post :oops:
Peter

For light weight stuff i use some DST from hobbycraft from the framing section. Other than that i have a roll of DS carpet tape, not sure where i got it from but it's great stuff. Stuck some left over acoustic carpet from a parcel shelf build on the face of 2 bessey uniclamps i use for door hanging about 6yrs ago and it's still on there now. :)

Cant say I have had a great deal of success with DST. I have used it a couple of times to hold frameworks in place while I rout around them ( notably for cutting out the lip for a router table insert ) and they moved enough to cock it all up. I have no idea if that was because of it being duff tape or if I had used it incorrectly. I will have to play around one day and find out.

I use the cheap thin stuff to stick paper and card.
And use the thicker "carpet tape" where a more robust stick is required.
I find both very useful but with three riders:
1, a lot of tapes dry out and become brittle in use after a few months and joint fails (just as Sellotape does).
2, Some sort of chemical reaction occurs when sticking some materials and the tape loses its sticky
within days (vinyl wallpaper is one).
3, The sticky residue always difficult to remove.
Difficult to test for all the above.
I shall be very interested in your results.
Cheers John

MMUK":32672nxp said:
How will you be testing it? Is this just the thin stuff or the double sided foam tape of differing thicknesses?

To be honest, we're not entirely sure yet, but it will be for using templates and jigs, mainly for routing. First we want to get hold of the most popular brands (and some that have never been heard about I expect) and see if there are any that stand out.

Thanks

Nick

I have used 3M tape for years, absolutely brilliant. In fact the current stuff I am using is over 10 years old and still hasn't lost any strength.

Nick Gibbs":2s9874t8 said:
MMUK":2s9874t8 said:
How will you be testing it? Is this just the thin stuff or the double sided foam tape of differing thicknesses?

To be honest, we're not entirely sure yet, but it will be for using templates and jigs, mainly for routing. First we want to get hold of the most popular brands (and some that have never been heard about I expect) and see if there are any that stand out.

Thanks

Nick

OK cool, this is what I use, Kennedy brand from Cromwell Tools

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/KEN9815810K

moz":1jtf6ro4 said:
Hafele: http://www.hafele.co.uk/shop/p/double-s ... 44678/7160

You won't have a problem with things moving, just getting them apart. Use sparingly! I often wonder whether to dispense with proper joints and glue and just stick furniture together with this stuff.

John
Seems you have to register before you can see the prices. Are they competitive ?

It's about £14.50 + VAT for six rolls at 50 metres each. Not the cheapest but you only need small amounts and six rolls lasts me years, even giving away a couple of rolls along the way.

John

Grahamshed":26oejjad said:
moz":26oejjad said:
Hafele: http://www.hafele.co.uk/shop/p/double-s ... 44678/7160

You won't have a problem with things moving, just getting them apart. Use sparingly! I often wonder whether to dispense with proper joints and glue and just stick furniture together with this stuff.

John
Seems you have to register before you can see the prices. Are they competitive ?

Depends if you use a lot of it LOL
Its a min order of 6 rolls at a time
The 50mm * 25mm costs £14:51 and the 50mm * 50mm costs £28:57
VAT has to be added to both prices as well as the delivery costs if they are not included in a large order

That said I have used it before in the past when I was Routing anything I could LOL and it worked very well
The stuff I use from Lidl /Aldi is what I use these days and it works just as well for my needs

Roger

I use it quite a lot, mainly for sticking templates to workpieces, so one of the prime requirements as a far as I am concerned is that it should not be too difficult to remove the adhesive layer from the work. For me, this is far more important than ultimate strength or permanence. I had a good stock of the B&Q stuff with a white adhesive layer and yellow/orange paper backing but I’m now all but out of it and B&Q no longer have it, so I’m at a loss to know which to buy. Any suggestions?

Jim

Are they all as difficult to separate from the backing layer as mine seems to be ? Once you get it started its OK but that first bit is a pig.

Some tape has a wider backing if that makes sense' probably 2mm either side of the sticky bit. It made taking the backing off a doodle. It made such perfect sense that I assumed all tape must have it, clearly it doesn't. Problem is that I can't remember where I bought the first roll.

DT

Back