double sided tape

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Na, don't believe it Rob. You're much to much of a gentleman to say something like that :wink:

Don't worry, it will get down to minus here too before the winter's out. We are no strangers to snow either and the best one was May last year :shock: The first time in May for 50 years

And this is looking at the front of our house, across the piscine swimming pool. I didn;t have a swim that day :roll:

292.jpg

Sorry for the hijack. Finished now :oops:

I doubt that 'hot glue' would even have got warm on that day?

OldWood":z54qs9by said:
I hadn't realised that Peter Child had pinched my idea of using the hot air gun (at least I assume he uses that to do the heating up). Yes it takes a little longer for the glue to come up to strength, but it also means that it has a bit of open time to adjust the chuck on the workpiece.

Rob

In the book i quoted above, he uses an inverted Clothes Iron to heat up the sticky chuck,

loz":ugb6ybz4 said:
OldWood":ugb6ybz4 said:
I hadn't realised that Peter Child had pinched my idea of using the hot air gun (at least I assume he uses that to do the heating up). Yes it takes a little longer for the glue to come up to strength, but it also means that it has a bit of open time to adjust the chuck on the workpiece.

Rob

In the book i quoted above, he uses an inverted Clothes Iron to heat up the sticky chuck,

Ahh, great; then I claim the prize !! Though I can't believe that someone hasn't got there before me!!

I cut small lumps of the glue from the stick, place 4 of them around the surface and gently heat both the workpiece and chuck piece with the hot air gun until the glue is well melted, and then bring them together. The joint line is thin, accurate and has open time to allow alignment to get a reasonable centre.

In terms of time - well I don't have to wait for the glue gun to heat up, but I do have to wait for the the glue to set. But once set it is a far better joint mechanically than just glue from the gun onto cold surfaces. And there's no waste glue from the gun to clean up !

Rob

so, if one were suggesting sub 30 quid xmas pressies (hijacked :oops: ) would you spend 30 quid on a hot glue gun or a tenner on a glue gun and twenty on a hot air gun?
hijack over :-"

nev":2iicbqpt said:
so, if one were suggesting sub 30 quid xmas pressies (hijacked :oops: ) would you spend 30 quid on a hot glue gun or a tenner on a glue gun and twenty on a hot air gun?
hijack over :-"

No - you spend a tenner on the hot air gun and a quid on some sticks of the hot glue, and a few pence on a blade to cut the glue, if you are really counting the pennies !! Actually if they still are making them, the variable temperature hot air gun from Makita is the one I would recommend.

Rob

Back