Double sided tape?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pe2dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Sounds useful? Watching @petermillard I thought, sounds good. Try it.
My usecase? Router, follower bit, 25mm oak. 6mm ply template.
Worked well!
Then
Tried to remove the ds tape!
30 mins later. Nope, white spirit just makes a mess. Gentle scrape with sharp chisel only solution I found.

Any suggestions please? Or change to low tack adhesive?

Mine rolls off easier than peeling. I have seen acetone suggested but have never tried it.

Is it old tape.I had some which was very good when new, sat on a shelf for about two years and now it makes the same mess you describe. Trying to work out why I haven't thrown it away.

Mmm. Been on for 20 mins. How old it was when I put it on, don't know.
Why you haven't thrown it away?
<grin/> I can think of lots of reasons!
"Is it really that long"... being the common one here.

Old tape (or just about any type) really is a problem. I found that out the had way when I made a multi-roll tape dispenser which hung on the shop wall so that when the sun was out all the tape was in full sunlight! I soon changed the position BTW, but it does seem that the longer you have any sort of tape "in stock" the harder it becomes to remove - AND to remove any adhesive residue left on the work piece.

However I have found in just about all cases, particularly double-sided carpet tape which I use quite a bit, the following 3 tips do help (me anyway):

1. As soon as you've managed to lift a corner, always pull the tape back on itself;

2. As the piece up removed tape gets longer (while pulling it back on itself) also roll it up (roughly will do). The idea is to keep the "pull back force" as even as possible;

3. IF the surface of the work piece will not be damaged, then acetone to remove any residue - or even wiped with a paper towel directly against the adhesive on the tape just as it appears while being removed ("pulled back on itself") - definitely eases matters a lot.

HTH

I think everyone who had used it in the way you have described has done that and found that it’s rather good at sticking under the correct circumstances. There are literally thousands of types of adhesive tapes to chose from, some are made to be removed, some are not, some exist only to lift one component onto another during an automated assembly process (transfer tapes). So it really does depend on which one you used and where.

I temporarily stuck a plastic parts to an 5mm aluminium sheet once, trying to take it off bent the aluminium. That was my second attempt, the first one was stuck with Sikaflex, I did not heed the warnings of the composites guys and used a load of it, those parts had to be sawed apart.

Sometimes heat softens the adhesive enough that the carrier can pull it away from the substrate, of course if there’s no carrier that won’t work so well

Aidan

Sometimes other tape is good at removing the adhesive left behind. When double sided tape glue is left I take masking tape and "dab" it on and off the old sticky bits and it pulls them off. You may have to rub the masking tape onto the old stuff with your finger to help the stubborn stuff to come off. You have to keep using fresh areas of masking tape. Works on stickers and tags on stuff you buy too.

Pete

You get the same issues with masking tape, that stuff is not as simple as you think and they do stuff that basically has to be removed within a set time period, and nearly all tapes adhesion strength increases over time. I use 3M double sided tape and it is great but not if it is old.

Next time dont bother with ds tape. This is what happens.
Instead use masking tape and superglue. Bit of tape on both peices. Dab of glue on one bit of tape, spray other side with activator then place together.
More than strong enough to run a router around and not move and yet real easy to remove.

As to current issue. Fire. It's the only answer.

Explain to me simply ( 😬 ) why and how I should use superglue and activator generally NC, What's the basic premise and advantage in various scenarios?

Double sided tape has it's uses but it can be a problem as well. I tend to prefer hot glue as it is easily removed with no residue.

Next time dont bother with ds tape. This is what happens.
Instead use masking tape and superglue. Bit of tape on both peices. Dab of glue on one bit of tape, spray other side with activator then place together.
More than strong enough to run a router around and not move and yet real easy to remove.

As to current issue. Fire. It's the only answer.
As an addition to the CA glue approach, you can use masking tape then double-sided tape on top of that instead of the CA glue. It's not ideal. DS tape is a beggar to get off along with the residue and it would be great if there is/was a low-tack version out there - like DS masking tape?

Explain to me simply ( 😬 ) why and how I should use superglue and activator generally NC, What's the basic premise and advantage in various scenarios?
I use it for allsorts of random stuff Chris. This week alone ive used it for template attachment on both the neck and headstock of a guitar (as described above) ive glued inlays in and made a model catapult with my son using it. I buy mitrebond instead of superglue (same stuff, bigger bottke, half the price). If i need a quick little box for something ill use offcuts and superglue. Setting hinges, a blob of glue and drop it on to hold in place and mark round then warm it and off it pops. I have a glue plate for the lathe too. Its also great for cuts in fingers. Dont tell anyone but ive also gkued mitres with it. Shhhh.

Oh and how yo use it, glue on one side. Spray other side with activator. You'll get about 4 seconds to get everything lined up then blam its stuck.

I use a product called Sticky Stuff Remover and it does what it says on the bottle, you don't need much and it works really well.

Which D/s tape is it? I use 3M when I want a solid bond, but just basic decorators’ merchant stuff for general use. Warming the tape up helps the adhesive lift more easily. Also curious which vid you were watching where I did this?? 🤔 🤷‍♂️

I think its moisture which over time increases the sticking power. If you put masking tape round a window for instance and then llaster, you have to remove the tape as soon as youve finished..... leave it a day and its a nightmare as the moisture seems to make it a lot stronger. So my theory was old tape has, over time, taken on moisture from the air and increased its potency

I agree with Novocaine, the tape and superglue method is fantastic. Rock solid and easy to prise apart afterwards, perfect for router template work. I use the 3M blue tape.

Back