Doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben102009

Reaction score
Hello, IV got the hinge jig, t10 router, and lock jig.
I can 7/8 new doors hung in a day, do you reckon that's ok?

Every door need to be cut on the bottom and planed or cut on side to suit frame as I didn't do frames!
Just used the jig for the first time today...it really saved the hassle of chisel and hand router, but still a bit of time with doors but definitely worth it.
Can people let me know what they think about how many should be fitted etc, thanks.

My experience is mainly around pre hung doors Sets on larger project where 8-10 a day is the norm. What you are doing sounds like significantly more work so well done 👍
Aw thanks man, well I was doing 8 prehung door sets before a few years back, so 8 -10 is very good also 👍🏻

I'd be more than happy if you worked for me, on a job a couple of weeks ago, "chippy" doing 2 a day (daywork) not me paying though.

I did use one! It wasn't really the question though was it?
as you said "planed" I wondered if you didnt use a track saw.

less than an hour to do a door is pretty good.

Im guessing thats doors which will be painted

veneered doors are pretty tricky to do quickly -they scratch and get chipped so easily

Yeah all have to be painted, I wouldn't use a track saw to put a chamfer on the door edge...I'd use a plane, but yes..I had to use the track saw on some 10mm to 2mm cuts because the frames were that bad.

it's a valid question tbh. it's takes a while to get up to decent speed though.
my technique is mark each old door for fit and position. ie +5mm - 2mm etc.
having a good pattern absolutely vital to speed otherwise its fit plane repeat ad infinitum.
next get all the doors swinging
next mark each latch height
next drill all doors using souber
next fit everything else
always lead people toward howdens as there easy to fit(they have thin screws for direct insrertion( no pre drill

I have never hung anything like 8 doors in a day although I never really work on site, more replacement doors in peoples houses.

On the few new doors I do I am always amazed how far out the casings are, people seem unable to use a plumb rule or straightedge anymore. I guess generally on small jobs these days the builders chuck the casings in themselves instead of waiting for a joiner to fit it so they are not held up.

This is the last one I worked on, suppose I could have hung the door in the casing but I took the casing out and refitted it plumb and level.

Left hand leg was over 10mm out of plumb, right hand wasn't far off and head was 5mm out of level, is it really that difficult or am I expecting too much?

door 4.jpg

door 5.jpg

On the few new doors I do I am always amazed how far out the casings are, people seem unable to use a plumb rule or straightedge anymore. I guess generally on small jobs these days the builders chuck the casings in themselves instead of waiting for a joiner to fit it so they are not held up.
There is also a tendency to use a laser to set casings and an attitude that "with a laser you don't need a 6ft level" (for those not in the know it's to check for pin cushioning or barreling of the jambs). This is often done by people who think they aren't going to install the doors afterwards - or who don't give a tuppeny damn (and sadly, there are a lot of both out there these days). A toxic combination of sloth, ignorance and indifference

..is it really that difficult or am I asking g too much?
Please refer to my comments above!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back