doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to the site. Seems excellent so far.

I am currently building a victorian conservatory, i have made frames sections and am a little stuck on door construction.

does anyone have any advice / ideas or books they could reccomend.

Hi Rog

Welcome on board. You might also want to have a look at this months "Good Woodworking" magazine (issue 147) which has an article on making doors (French doors, to be specific) written by Andy King. Andy often frequents this forum so I'm sure he'll be able to give you some pointers too.

Yours

Gill

PS Andy - who's the guy with the hair on his head in the photo that accompanies the article?

Rog,

hopefully the door feature in GW147 will help, but if not, i'll try and give you a few pointers if you need them....email me at the mag if you need to.

Gill, I would like to say it was me in the picture showing how I relax at weekends,:D but it's a friend who lives in the village who I made them for. Does he look familiar? He isn't a born and bred local though, he hasn't got the normal extra finger on each hand the rest of us village folk have!!

Andy

Hi Andy

A smaller version of the photo was used in the previous edition in the "Coming up next month" section. That's one of the things that prompted me to ask if the staff at the magazine were suddenly turning hirsuite :) ! If I recall correctly, there was also a bearded man in the picture on the cover of the previous edition who looked suspiciously like Phil Davy.

You've got to admit there's at least a passing resemblance between you and your neighbour :) . Well, I think there is...

Yours

Gill

Thanks guys am looking for that book now...

I subscribe to GW and have read Andys fine piece.

The bit I am strugglig with, is wether to build the door like andy does (and invest in some router cutters) or build a mortcie and tennon frame and cut the glass rebate after.

Thinking about it I guess Andys method is the way forward....

Andy can you specify the router cutters you used?

cheers Rog

Guys have surfed for this book seems to be out of print and stock.. any ideas?
rog

Rog,

If I remember correctly, the cutter I used for the ovolos was the Trend 46/11, the drip groove was the Trend 12/31, the straight cutters were the Trend 4/51 (3/4in wide) for cutting the glazing and frame rebates, and the Trend 3/08 (1/2in wide) for jigs etc.
I would definitely recommend a pre-rebated method over a square frame and rout later one. Not only will it will hone your hand skills for scribing, it looks far classier without the steps in the shoulderlines a square frame method gives.

Gill,

Are there no opticians where you live? :shock: :D

Andy

Back