Doors and window frames on a dwarf wall ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mc

Reaction score
Hi, am looking for some guidance on how to design/install door and window frames onto an existing brick dwarf wall.

The wall spans my garden,and joins both my neighbours houses, it just lacks windows, doors and a roof :)

The wall is only about 15 feet wide, so really only room for a single pair of French doors and a single window either side.

I'm intending to have a glass roof, so will need tomake allowances for this too in the framing.

any tips/pointers/diagrams or offers of free labour very welcome.

Mc

Sorry but i do not understand more info please, do you want a stud wall built on top? then how far is the roof span to be and where is it fixed.

15 ft id put more than 2 windows in myself , especially if the window frame is supporting the roof . From what i think your trying to do id use 4x2 PAR and a 6x2 Hardwood cill and hold (fixed) glass in with 1/12x1/2 ovolo or PAR . Id use a mortice and tenon construction for the frame .
For the roof id use 4x2 and buy in a waterproof system from Twinfix or any other place you can find the same type of sealing system . Id also put laminated glass in the roof part or toughened !

Are you looking to make a room where one end of it is the wall of your neighbours house? :?

OK, probably wasn't very clear...sorry.

The span left to right is probably nearer 10-11 feet, at least 4 feet of this span will be made up of the French doors, leaving about 3 foot either side for a window.

The dwarf wall is approx 15 feet from the house, so a purlin (? left wall to right wall) may be needed half way along the roof span to support the weight of glass etc. I imagine 4 x 2 to be the minimum profile for the roof supports. I'll try and get some calculations completed before building this obviously.

I want to have a vertical sliding sash window on either side of the French doors, and it is the 'framing' for these window boxes plus the door frame that I am trying to design.

This is the only 'wall' I need to build, as both sides of this conservatory are existing brick extensions (one is mine, one is my neighbours)

Whatever Framing I put in place needs to be able to:

a) allow the installation of a box sash on either side of the doors
b) allow the installation of a set of french doors/door frame in the centre and
c) allow the roof supports a secure anchor.

I will be painting the finished article, so hardwood not really necessary.

I may or may not build the sash windows ( to match the rest of the house)

I really dislike poly roofing systems and will be using sealed glazed (or laminated) roof pieces.

Again, any pointers very welcome.

Thanks
mc

sounds like a plan to build a stud wall, thats not really what I'm trying to do...there will nly be the two windows and the french doors on the whole wall, there is no room for any actual 'solid' wall at all...

so my question is how to frame the windows and doors....maybe a picture would help.

Mc

Stud wall principals still apply look at the info in the links again, you need a robust wall to carry your proposed roof and this type of construction is simple and strong without loading window and door frames.

Latest posts

Back