Doorframe in old house out of plumb by about ¾"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shokunin

Reaction score
Hoping this is the right thread for my question:

We want to change 6 doors in our house, all frames are out of plumb by about ¾".

Of the peg doors mostly allow for some trimming but not for nearly 1".

Short of making my own doors and/or cutting long wedges to compensate for the tilting of the frames, has anyone any suggestions?

Thank you.

Fit new frames? Is the 3/4" out of plumb just on one of the legs of the frames or is it on both? Are the tops level?

Hoping this is the right thread for my question:

We want to change 6 doors in our house, all frames are out of plumb by about ¾".

Of the peg doors mostly allow for some trimming but not for nearly 1".

Short of making my own doors and/or cutting long wedges to compensate for the tilting of the frames, has anyone any suggestions?

Thank you.
Which bits are out of plumb? Both sides leaning the same way could mean they are parallel and only need trimming at the top and bottom edges.
Do they lean towards or away from each other in which case you might get away with just trimming 3/8" from both sides.
And so on.
Best to buy a door and "offer it up"* to see where it needs trimming.
* "offering up" is an ancient makers technique whereby you try for fit to see how to adjust, rather than working it out wrongly on the back of an envelope! You might even find unexpected curves.
A wedge or two help to hold it in place while you mark it up with a pencil. Sometimes repeat the operation after trimming one edge, to see how you are going.
PS what's wrong with the old doors - are you sure this is wise?

Last edited:
Which bits are out of plumb? Both sides leaning the same way could mean they are parallel and only need trimming at the top and bottom edges.
Do they lean towards or away from each other in which case you might get away with just trimming 3/8" from both sides.
And so on.
Best to buy a door and "offer it up"* to see where it needs trimming.
* "offering up" is an ancient makers technique whereby you try for fit to see how to adjust, rather than working it out wrongly on the back of an envelope! You might even find unexpected curves.
A wedge or two help to hold it in place while you mark it up with a pencil. Sometimes repeat the operation after trimming one edge, to see how you are going.
PS what's wrong with the old doors - are you sure this is wise?
Thank you for your extensive reply.
Both sides leaning the same way, hence I should be able to get away with just top and bottom trimming.
What's wrong with the old doors: 1st they are not original, judging from the numerous "patches" around the lock (s).
2nd we assume the doors were stripped in a tank at one stage, trim is loose and not fitting at the corners.
3rd we would like the "châlet style" of the house converted into something resembling Bauhaus architecture.
4th the landing is very dark, even in the middle of the day, hence we plan to replace the panes with frosted glass
(you are welcome to the old doors, once we are ready)

Thank you for your extensive reply.
Both sides leaning the same way, hence I should be able to get away with just top and bottom trimming.
What's wrong with the old doors: 1st they are not original, judging from the numerous "patches" around the lock (s).
2nd we assume the doors were stripped in a tank at one stage, trim is loose and not fitting at the corners.
3rd we would like the "châlet style" of the house converted into something resembling Bauhaus architecture.
4th the landing is very dark, even in the middle of the day, hence we plan to replace the panes with frosted glass
(you are welcome to the old doors, once we are ready)
Thanks for the offer! I'll have them if you are not far - just getting a winter firewood collection together
Stripping is bad news - it's destroyed tons and tons of perfectly good joinery over the years.

Thanks for the offer! I'll have them if you are not far - just getting a winter firewood collection together
Stripping is bad news - it's destroyed tons and tons of perfectly good joinery over the years.
Hackney in London, would that be too far?

Hackney in London, would that be too far?
Yep too far but thanks anyway.
Old joinery and furniture burns really well and hacking it apart is a learning process and you learn how things were really done, rather than theory and youtube.
I'd have woodwork autopsy top of the list if I was a teacher. Instead of a cadaver it'd be an old wardrobe or sash window etc

Screenshot 2021-09-28 at 20.21.52.png

That's where the Joiner's skill comes in, being able to hang those doors and make the frames look like there's nothing wrong with them.

Sometimes you go one size smaller and put thin. Battens down each side to pack out door frames to suit new doors if frame is out both sides in the same direction you maybe not even notice 😜

Yep too far but thanks anyway.
Old joinery and furniture burns really well and hacking it apart is a learning process and you learn how things were really done, rather than theory and youtube.
I'd have woodwork autopsy top of the list if I was a teacher. Instead of a cadaver it'd be an old wardrobe or sash window etc

View attachment 118745
I like the idea of cabinet making pathology...

I like the idea of cabinet making pathology...
Years ago I use to get Architects & Builders News (I think that was it - might have been another mag) and it had a regular feature on building failures, everything from small damp proofing failures to major collapses.
Somehow very instructive looking at what doesn't work and hence what not to do. And it's definitive - things which do work are merely unproven and could collapse at any minute!

Back