Door Stops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetset

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the standard gap between a front door and the applied door stop normally is? I have an applied moulding to plant on to use as door stop. I'm thinking about 1-3mm. Any suggestions?

Jim

Hi
Does anyone know what the standard gap between a front door and the applied door stop normally is? I have an applied moulding to plant on to use as door stop. I'm thinking about 1-3mm. Any suggestions?
for the external door that you mention the frame should be rebated & not have a planted stop for your own security .hc

Thanks for the replies

Hang the door then fit the stops

Yes, have hung the door and am about to fit the stops -- hence the question.

the frame should be rebated & not have a planted stop for your own security

Hmm. Too late for that. I wanted planted stops to match what was there before. I've made these myself, they look like wide staff beads with the edge having a corner bead. I'll use plenty of screws for security now though -- thanks for the heads up.

Hi

OMHO Well it's never to late to but any job right, if your going to plant stops on an external frame then you better glue as well as screw , if not its would be so easy to gain entry to your home , not only that if you did get broken it to (which i hope you don't ) :D not to sure of the insurance side of thing also :? , might even cancel the policy once they find out the frame was'nt rebated . Now where did you say you lived .hc :D :D

If you have properly installed, appropriate locks, the type of door stop used shouldn't make any significant difference to your security.

There are countless properties out there with applied door stop, and no insurance company is going to consider it a problem. I agree that glue and screw is the way to go, but I wouldn't loose any sleep over having to use a separate door stop.

Thanks. The locks are certainly kosher and up-to-date as far as domestic security is concerned.

Jim

Back