Door stop advice please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
I have a heavy, studded oak door to my utility room external entrance. It opens outwards and is in a corridor with another building of mine adjacent, and tends to catch the wind.

I need a means of keeping it open, without using a hook and latch (veto from Mrs AJB). The ones with a piston and spring generally get bad reviews for this application as they are designed for use on carpets, so when they are pressed down they raise by about 2mm. This is stopping on a black limestone floor and needs to engage positively. They are also rather short - I need it to deal with a gap to the outside step of about 5 inches.

Must be heavy duty and look good. Door fittings are Banham chrome, but I am OK with chrome, nickel or black or SS. Any ideas?

Thanks, Adrian

Can you set anything into the limestone patio? A gate hold-back catch works a treat, but is obviously a trip hazard when the door is shut. A blacksmith made version rather than the one I linked to would be best, with a ball for the weight.

not sure if you can get them that go to that length but would a concealed drop bolt on the lock style edge be an option? you'd need a hole in the ground too which could be an issue I guess.

Yup, like novocaine I was going to suggest a "simple" drop bolt too.

Yes it needs a hole bored in the flagstone, but IMO anyway (Mrs. AJB may not agree - ;) ) not too unsightly really (almost invisible), particularly if you insert a steel tube into the hole and paint the top circumference to either match the drop bolt or perhaps the surrounding flagstones. Apart from the looks (maybe), about the only disadvantages I can see are that A) after time the hole/tube can get filled with fine dirt, leaves, etc, and B) it will probably be a 2-handed job to fasten back, particularly in a strong wind.

Wrought iron long handled bolt into a hole in the floor (or ceiling). As used to secure very tall old church doors.

Is it too late to reverse it so it opens inwards?
When open is it 180 degrees against a wall or 90 degrees in the corridor?
If it is against a wall you can get magnetic door release plate (needs electricity), though whether it would hold a door when the wind gets it!
I put a hook and chain on my shed to hold the door!!! It works

Thanks guys.

Sadly no servants, except me. I like your idea Mike (should have thought of that) but in practice this is the main route in and out of the house for us when we don't have visitors, as it is adjacent to the garages. I am super clumsy and I would trip over something permanently in the ground. I will have a think and see if it can be adapted as that is a good solution if I can make it safe from my own clumsiness.

Long bolt will not work - Mrs AJB says she does not want to be faffing with that when she is bringing in shopping.

I don't want it to open inwards. The reason is that I do not want to compromise the utility / boost room interior design. And this is a reclaimed rather old door from some old country house - it is designed to open out.

I have tried hook and latch, but there is nothing much to latch too unless I have a very long one (unsightly) and when the wind gets up it just yanks it straight out of the wall. Mrs AJB complained that it requires 2 hands to operate and is a nuisance.

Gap is far too too big for a wedge. I am presently using a big offcuts from an oak beam as a door stop, which works totally fine IMO, but does not have wifely approval in any sense. I kick it out of the way, she says it will damage her shoes.

Adrian

Last edited:
There is a device that fits at the top of the door and locks in the open position. A cord hangs down and allows you to release the lock. My problem is remembering what it's called!

How wide does the door open, Adrian? If it opens close to 180 degrees do you have scope for something like this:

Cm4rDQj.jpg

G0vVxPi.jpg

Q7SghBr.jpg

Thanks for further ideas. The door opens to 95 degrees, against an entrance wall that is a foot thick. It just (5mm) clears the rafters and guttering overhead and the roof overhang is about 15 inches. I am not there right now else I would post a photo. The door is 30" wide (actually an odd, old size, but near enough).

Anything magnetic is a non-runner. Tried that. Mrs (you know who) says it is too stiff (I should be so lucky) whereas the wind laughs in the face of magnets.

The wind is no joke actually. We have a south facing garden, extremely sheltered by big mature trees (big beech, birch, chestnut and oak). The effect of this is that wind curls up over the trees as it shoots over about 2 or 3 miles of flat fields and orchards) and shoots down the garden, especially on the east side, as if magnified. I have beefed up the electric entrance gates for this reason and they still struggle to overcome the wind when it is blowing hard. I need a windmill. :whistle:

I need to post a pic. Most ideas don't work because of the cinfiguration. Sorry - should have been better prepared before asking the question. I have a small, rudimentary forge (I am useless as a blacksmith - still a learner) so I might see if I can adapt Mike's idea and make something that can fit close to the wall and be foot operated for release.

Back