Door stop advice please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Up bolt is worth looking at, thanks. Mrs A wants quick release and auto engagement, but this may be a sensible compromise. Rafters are very close to top of door. And there is potential to have a half open position.

The sprung hook thing, like my wooden ones, hanging off the rafters......or perhaps fixed to the return wall. It suits the auto-engagement/ quick release criteria.

Sorry, But I do think your wife is being rather fussy. If she keeps vetoing Ideas. Ask HER to come up with the solution.
😂😂😂 You have not met my wife. She is German. Only child. She does not do ideas. She does do rules. Very happy (sort of) to help me lift heavy beams (Germans girls are usually strapping wenches). She is of the view that DIY builder (me) needs to just fix it. In reality this is best. Last week I caught her sidling off with one of my very nice and well cared for Thor leather faced hammers (3lb), to use in the garden, despite being aware that ALL tools are strictly out of bounds. Do not even look at my tools!

I bought her her very own lump hammer a while ago, which she promptly dropped in a pond. I give her screwdriver sets etc from Lidl in an effort to insulate my tools from danger.

Thanks Mike. Yes. I will have a look at that when I get back. That concept will probably work. Release from above is much better than near ground level. I also think a bolt downwards from the rafters will obviously work. I feel a bit stupid for not thinking about that at the outset.

.......She is German......She does do rules..........

Last week I caught her sidling off with one of my very nice and well cared for Thor leather faced hammers (3lb), to use in the garden, despite being aware that ALL tools are strictly out of bounds. Do not even look at my tools!.....

Seems she does rules when it suits........

She lets me think I am in charge. If I overstep the mark, privileges are withdrawn. Not good. The PIL arrive next week for two weeks. I speak German IMO but they pretend not to understand, as they say I sound Swiss. (I lived there for quite a while).

Yes. That might work. They are a stupid price, but I have a few hand wrought old ones from a French barn that I could possibly repurpose. I had simply not considered bolting upwards into the rafters. If I fit a stop to the wall, this (as with Mike's idea) could work.

Great forum this. Glad I asked. I was not thinking laterally (in fact vertically) enough.

One way and another AJB, what with location, languages AND rules problems, you have a pretty challenging situation! "Good luck" Sir! (I've run out of door stop ideas myself, sorry). :confused:

I have tested the new Mrs route in the past. I can confirm that it a a great deal more expensive than any tool habit you could think of. :whistle:

I was going to suggest a similar thing to Mike but at the bottom in the 5 inch gap, they used to have them in churches, foot operated cantilevered and weighted at the back So that when the door opened it slid up the slope dropped into the rebate and the weight at the back holds it there, then it’s simple enough to push down with your foot on the slope to release the door
I was going to say oak to match the door but a nice blacksmith made one would look good. Ian S

Sorry, I forgot to say, wall mounted then you don’t need to drill your floor.
You really don’t want to upset the boss with holes in the floor, she might actually be keeping that lump hammer safe for another job!

I was going to suggest a similar thing to Mike but at the bottom in the 5 inch gap, they used to have them in churches, foot operated cantilevered and weighted at the back So that when the door opened it slid up the slope dropped into the rebate and the weight at the back holds it there, then it’s simple enough to push down with your foot on the slope to release the door
I was going to say oak to match the door but a nice blacksmith made one would look good. Ian S
Thanks Ian. I can't quite visualise what you mean.

Back