Door Repair Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex H

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the side door to our barn.

DSC_0261.JPG

DSC_0260.JPG

It is made of wide boards, 3cm thick of hardwood, probably oak.

As you can see at the bottom it has rotted, however, the rest above the lower 20-30cm is solid.

I would like to repair it, but can't see how to attach the wood to replace the part I'm cutting out.

As there is no frame that holds everything together, what's the best way to go about this?

Attachments

• DSC_0260.JPG
    DSC_0260.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC_0261.JPG
    DSC_0261.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 148
Treat the rotting bits with something to stop them rotting further. Remove the horizontal piece at the bottom viewed from outside and replace it with a wider piece that is fitted to the floor. You could put a bevel on the top edge of the new piece so the water runs off.

I think I would screw on a door drip to the outside, but make it extra wide so you can screw to the bottom ledge. If you want, then it would be possible to fit a board on the inside below the bottom ledge.

The door drip would need a chamfer on the top edge to shed rain water.

For what it's worth (probably not much), I'd do a combination of the above. Remove the external board, treat and replace with a thick board chamfered on both edges at the same angle to reduce water ingress. Then replace the internal board to existing thickness, the minimum clearance height for the floor and screw and plug from the inside.

phil.p":3lmfpd58 said:
Your horseshoes are upside down - all the luck will fall out. :)

No - I hedged my bets having some UK style (ends up) and others continental style (ends down) :lol:

Latest posts

Back