Door rail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfarris

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am in the process of designing a internal door using sketch up, Once i have the design sorted i would like to eventually make it.
The door will have traditional mortise & tenon joints, and depending on cost i am going to use hardwood

I have started on the top rail of the door, but i am having trouble understanding the joint.

If you look at my pic you will see what i mean, It appears that 35mm is not thick enough but i have seen doors were this joint works
tenon.jpg

Any help would be very much appreciated

J

If it was me, I'd rebate out 5mm more on one side, place the glass flush with the face of the tenon and then made up the 8mm ovlo separately to be tacked on to hold the glass in.

But your main issue I think is that your tenon is to wide, 1/3rd the width is the rule of thumb. Yours could be 11mm.

Door1.jpg

Door2.jpg

Door3.jpg

Door4.jpg

download the sketchup here

Attachments

• Door1.jpg
    Door1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Door2.jpg
    Door2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Door3.jpg
    Door3.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Door4.jpg
    Door4.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 88
Have a look at an old door. No point in redesigning the wheel.

Chems":3euu5xvu said:
If it was me, I'd rebate out 5mm more on one side, place the glass flush with the face of the tenon and then made up the 8mm ovlo separately to be tacked on to hold the glass in.

But your main issue I think is that your tenon is to wide, 1/3rd the width is the rule of thumb. Yours could be 11mm.

download the sketchup here
Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the pictures chems i think you have pretty much hit the nail on the head with it, except you have missed out the haunch
The reason for the my tenon thickness is i was going to my nearest mortice bit size. It was either 13 or 10mm i have read that anything under 10mm wouldnt be strong enough
In your drawing you show the top of the tenon finishing under the mould on mine i show it at the top of the mould., doing it your way i could still go for the 13mm thick tenon

Jacob":3euu5xvu said:
Have a look at an old door. No point in redesigning the wheel.
Not trying to invent the wheel just trying to understand how to contruct it. :wink:

The above is all good.
1/2" tenon is OK. Rout rebate so that glass sits centrally, and either scribe long & short shoulders on the tenon or, and easier in the home workshop, mitre the sticking away.
Don't forget you will need safety glass in a door.
All the best with you new project!
S

johnfarris":23wpquzd said:
In your drawing you show the top of the tenon finishing under the mould on mine i show it at the top of the mould., doing it your way i could still go for the 13mm thick tenon

What do you mean about by the top of the tenon?

Back