Door frame dilemma

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manyana

Reaction score
I have purchased reclaimed door and frame with a pre-glazed side light to fit into a brand new porch. Please could anyone give me any advise on fitting the frame, particularly the side with the pre-glazed panel. It's fitted with very unusual stained glass, and I'm scared silly of breaking it!

Take out the glass first and store it until required.then re-instate with new glazing compound.

Is it too big (planer) or too small (pack it with an architrave cover).

'Sue'

Personally I would not try removing the glass, as its old the putty will have gone very hard and you are likely to damage the glass trying to get it out.

You won't be able to fix by drilling through the rebates so will have to the beads or frame due to the glass being in the way then fill the fixing holes afterwards

If the porch has not actually been built yet then use frame ties fixed to the outside of the frame and build them into the brickwork.

J

Thanks for the replies, particularly jasonB. I agree with you that it will be tricky to remove the glass and thought that going through the frame and then filling it would be an option, but I'm glad to have it confirmed.

gap filler(expanding foam) and packers should do the job on that side and then fix top,bottom and other side with frame fixers

alex8_en":5vqu38vc said:
gap filler(expanding foam) and packers should do the job on that side and then fix top,bottom and other side with frame fixers

+1 for the expanding foam, you can even take out the packers once this has set.
I had to remove a window once that I had set in expanding foam/insulation, and I can tell you they are are not for removing easily, especially if they are set in a window check...bosshogg :)
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.
Albert Einstein (hammer)

I think you will find that stained glass panels are normally held in with beading, not puttied in - at least, they are on our house (Victorian) - so have a close look before assuming that they cannot be removed. There may also be wires soldered on and wrapped around iron bars; these can be untwisted to remove them.

On an external door I would expect them to be bedded in putty with beads as just beads on their own would allow water in to the rebate.

These three that I took out of a front door a couple of months ago were puttied and beaded, even with cutting the door apart to help get them out I still broke a copuple of solder joints but luckily no glass. Good job they were being reused internally and the cracked joints went insid ethe cupboard.

IMAG0042.jpg

Back