door closer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody Alan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I need to fit a door closer. I have seen the ones at screwfix that are concealed in the hinge line, has anyone used these and are they any good? Are there any other quality concealed options?

cheers Alan

You mean perko's.

They do work and are effective at closing the door. They dont work as well as a not concealed door closer, ie. they dont usually have that slowing down on the last couple of inches but they do work.

Remember you will probably get a small 'U' shaped plate with the fitting, This is used to hold the chain extended while you fit the plate.

Marky

Some of the concealed closers dont conform to building regs (if you are fitting it for fire door purposes for example). In practace it just depentds how picky the building control man is!

Mind your fingers if your fitting one of those . I think they are the best option as they are hardly seen so make for a nicer job . But check the fire door regs for your area first . Changing the hinges to rising butts could be another way and im sure there is another type of self closing hinge but my mind is blank at the mo :roll:

JFC is right nasty things to fit . better off with the surfice mount box.

Forgot to say take a good pair of pincers with you if you are going to fit a pergo as you'll need them to pull out the chain before you can insert the u shaped clip to hold the chain .......

Hi

Thanks for replies, not concerned with building regs, normal domestic dwelling, main problem is teenage girls breezing through not shutting doors, Oh and light switches, thinking of infra red auto switching. Just a minute I'm turning into my dad noooo this can't be happening I said it never would damn it.

Cheers Alan

Alan, the door closers might cause more problems than the teenagers (OK, I know that seems unlikely :roll: ). Had to have them fitted in my last house when I had a loft conversion.

The poor old cat was almost decapitated when he followed me through a doorway :shock: and carrying a tray of teas and coffees to the next room was a disaster waiting to happen :roll:

Make sure that the cure is not worse than the problem :wink:

Paul

Paul

A very good point you raise on both counts, our old moggy is not as nimble as she was, and on the second point neither am I :)

Cheers Alan

Alan
Perko "closers" are in fact nothing more than door slammers. If you want your door to close quietly and fully then buy a hydraulic closer that can be adjusted to do the job properly. Look at the Briton range. They invented the things and are the best.
The Perko relies on a spring and the more it is used the more it needs to be adjusted. There is a double spring version which does tend to do a better job but the real test of a good closer is to open the door about an inch and then let it go. A Perko, at this distance, will struggle to close a door unless it is really lightweight. A Briton will do the job every time if it is correctly fitted and adjusted.
I have been advising on fire doors etc. for donkeys years and feel like I have got to know the world of the door closer quite well.
Perkos are acceptable but are a bit like a rusty bike whereas the Briton is a Rolls Royce.
Hope you don't mind the rant.
Cheers.

SF

SF

Thanks for the advice makes sense. Do you have a particular model from their range, that fits the reasonable price, discrete, (size) availability. Bearing in mind these doors are lightweight domestic, not fire doors.

Cheers Alan

if you decide on the perko type woody
i may have a couple here you can have for free
if you just send me your address ill pop them in the post to you
mel

Hi Alan
Have a look at this site: http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/Prod ... 501-A.aspx

You can get a Briton closer for around £15.00 but it won't be as good as something from their 2000 range, say.

Twice that price will get you a better looking device with the reliability you will need if the door is in use all the time. They can be a lot more than that but if your door is light there is no need to go mad. I suspect you will not be needing the gold effect finish. No?
There are other makers but I reckon these will do what you need. They have had a lot of practice!

SF

another consideration is the type of door your fixing it to
a proper door closer wont stay in place for very long if the door is hollow
or would certainly need something strenthening it to allow a good fixing
personally i wouldnt fit an hydraulic closer on a wickes/b+q door
mel

Back