Don'tcha just love Mondays?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Delivered within half an hour of each other; one perfect L-N Skew Block replacement and one Veritas Bevel-up Smoother. \:D/ \:D/ =P~ =P~ Cherry shavings outta-da-box; give me time, and temperatures less than 104deg F in the workshop :shock: , and it'll be DIY tissue paper time... :twisted:

Cheers, Alf

delivery.jpg

gotta' ask, Alice.

Which digicam did you buy? 'cos you're photos have been notably good, of late.

BugBear

bugbear":2hx002w5 said:
Which digicam did you buy? 'cos you're photos have been notably good, of late. BugBear

Can't you see BugBear - its all in the reflection! :wink:

Adam

So they were notably bad before, eh...? [-(

:wink:

Fujifilm Finepix A330. I've also changed to tweaking them in Picasa 2, which may have made a difference?

Adam, yeah, I should have waved. #-o :lol:

Cheers, Alf

OOH! Looking forward to your review Alf!
(Is it me or does the SS look a bit like the scraper plane???)
Cheers
Philly =P~

Philly":3hy5i7zk said:
(Is it me or does the SS look a bit like the scraper plane???)

I took a look again at the LV scraper plane and the bodies do look a lot alike. The only major difference is the "frog" section on each plane. The contours and shape are very similar. I'm with Philly 8)

I'm with Philly

no.... I'm nae bitin... my heid's still too sare fae thunkin the last time....

similar.... sheeshh...

then again..

if I close one eye... scrunch up the other and chug a couple o rums... on top o the meds that is... maybe..... just maybe....

naaaaaaaaaaa........

:p

Well I suppose it has a hint of the Scraper plane about it. Apart from the different knob style, the side wings going further back on the scraper, different rear tote, different sole shape and, of course, the completely different blade and adjustment configuration. Apart from that, heck, they're practically identical... :roll: :lol:

I think we may have confusion over bevel angles and effective pitches here, btw. As I understand it, ydb would favour having an iron with a 50 deg bevel angle for an effective pitch of 62 deg, while the BUS comes with an iron with a 38 deg bevel, giving an effective pitch of 50 deg. I think you'll have to resign yourself to having a wide range of blades from which to choose, ydb - specially as you're making space for the bevel up jointer as well, IIRC? :D

Cheers, Alf

Actually, if you really scrunch your eyes up it kinda, sorta looks like a Holtey......... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alright-I give up!
Still want to get my hands on one though (and read your review Alf, hint, hint :wink: )
Cheers
NeedsaneyetestPhilly :lol:

Philly":1ogs2dvc said:
YDB
I believe the SS comes with the iron at 50 degreees (i.e. York pitch), so its not a low angleplane. Have a look here...
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... at=51&ap=1

And Mike-come on,you know it kinda looks like one! :lol:
Philly :D

Philly,
Well, from the catalog,

"The 12° bed angle, coupled with the 38° blade bevel, yields an effective cutting angle of 50°"

I already have a 38 degree blade that I purchased to use with my LA jack. I was wondering if I could order a SS with the 50 degree blade, which would give me an effective cutting angle of 62 degrees.

:)

Hi ydb,

Why not send LV customer service an email and get it from the horse's mouth, so to speak?

Can't imagine they wouldn't honor such a request.

MikeW":3ghoqjfg said:
Hi ydb,

Why not send LV customer service an email and get it from the horse's mouth, so to speak?

Can't imagine they wouldn't honor such a request.

Awesome idea. I think I'll give 'em a call.

Back