Don't try this....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whilst It is well known that you don't use a spindle roughing gouge on cross grain timber the reason given in this video is not the complete explanation. Yes the profile/grind of the tool isn't appropriate but more importantly the tool is not made to deal with varying grain directions. It is a forged tool with a reduced tang. That tang cannot deal with those varying grain directions and the forces involved. Consequently the tool may bend or even break in use - there are numerous images on the internet of this tool having been broken when used in the wrong situation. Compare the spindle roughing gouge to a modern day bowl gouge and you will see the difference; a forge tool against a milled tool with a substantial tang. Hence the name "spindle roughing gouge"; only to be used on parallel grain timber. I personnally apply that to all reduced tang tools, scrapers excluded but I have no time for them :)

Whilst It is well known that you don't use a spindle roughing gouge on cross grain timber the reason given in this video is not the complete explanation. Yes the profile/grind of the tool isn't appropriate but more importantly the tool is not made to deal with varying grain directions. It is a forged tool with a reduced tang. That tang cannot deal with those varying grain directions and the forces involved. Consequently the tool may bend or even break in use - there are numerous images on the internet of this tool having been broken when used in the wrong situation. Compare the spindle roughing gouge to a modern day bowl gouge and you will see the difference; a forge tool against a milled tool with a substantial tang. Hence the name "spindle roughing gouge"; only to be used on parallel grain timber. I personnally apply that to all reduced tang tools, scrapers excluded but I have no time for them :)
Hi Mark, did you make that item, the one you use as your profile pik?

Back