Don't lose out.......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevtheturner

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently bought a worktop at Homebase. Quoted me £26 delivery to my home approx. 8 miles away. At the same time bought a new thermostat for the central heating - reached home, opened the box, five sets of instructions in different languages but none in English! 'Phoned Homebase - "Yes, we've got the instructions, will put them to one side for you."

Following morning, trip back to Homebase.
Me to girl at Service Counter, "bought this yesterday, loads of instructions but none in English, they should have been put aside for me."

Girl roots about under counter, "Yes, here they are."

Me, very politely,"thank you very much. By the way, yesterday I was here quoted £26 to deliver a worktop to my home. These instructions should have been in the box, so how much are you going to pay me for having to make a special second round trip to collect them?"

Girl, :shock: pause for thought, then, "oh, that's between you and the manufacturer!"

Me, "no it's not. I bought it here, not from the manufacturer. So my contract is with Homebase. How much are you going to pay me?"

Girl: long pause then onto the PA system, "Ian to the Service Counter please."

A nice little queue is beginning to accumulate by the time Ian, the manager, appears. I explain again to him, maintaining my attitude of pleasant good manners, but it is obvious, and understandable from his point of view, that he wants to get rid of me.

Ian, "I can give you a discount of £13, half the delivery charge."

Me, "okay."

Ian, to girl, "show it as a discount, not compensation."
Ian, to me, "have you got your receipt for the delivery?"

Me, "no, I wasn't going to pay £26 for a delivery for a few miles up the road. I got the worktop in the car and took it home myself!"

Ian, of course, had already committed to 13 quid, so I left with £13 cash - oh, and my English instructions. I wasn't really expecting anything and would have been happy with a fiver for petrol!

Cheers,

Trev.

Great Trev, that is really superb. These stores treat some people so bad that i love it when joe public gets one over on them .

Did you read yesterdays Daily Mail about the 80 year old pensioner who got over charged £45 by B&Q? When he realised, he went back to the store for a refund and was passed from pillar to post and when he got fed up with this and asked to see the manager he was frog marched by 2 security guards into the managers office, where he was told that before he got his money back he would have to sign a agreement banning him from every B&Q store in the Uk. He was then told that if he entered any of their stores again he would be treated as a trespasser and the police called.

Come on what is happening? This guy is 80. Does big business really let their staff get away with treating anyone let alone a pensioner like this?

Anyway good on you Trev.

Regards

Woody

Hi Woody,

Yes, I read that too. They wouldn't have frog-marched me to the manager's office - he/she would have come to me in the store! Absolutely disgraceful treatment by B & Q staff of an 80 year old - especially when the fault was fairly and squarely with the store. Other words fail me on this one.

Cheers,

Trev.

Trev, I feel unworthy in the presence of such a master craftsman. Beautiful work.
cool.gif

Cheers, Alf

My brother in law is banned from B & Q . He was outside in the garden centre browsing when an assistant asked "do you want decking?"

So he thought he would get a punch in first ................. :D :D :D

Latest posts

Back