Don't know what i'd do with a more serious accident.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
Twa...d my thumb with a lump hammer today.

2012-04-01163434.jpg

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Immediately broke out in a cold sweat, felt faint, had to go for a little lie down (well I exaggerate a little, but only a little :lol: )

It's still twice the size of the other one.

As I said in the title, if there was blood involved I don't know what i'd do :lol:

Cheers

Karl

As you say Karl - OUCH - My eyes began to water just reading that.

About 6 months ago I dropped a huge lump of hardwood that I could only just lift onto my foot - and no I wasnt wearing steel toecap boots - after excruciating pain I eventually got my boot off (I couldnt get it back on again) and was hobbling around for days and my foot was blue for weeks - My big toe is still black under the nail to this day!

Anyway back to your thumb, hope it gets better soon.

Rog

Oryxdesign":3wlx21lx said:
How did you manage to take that picture?

hope theres no long term damage

Pencil in the gob!

I don't think there's any serious damage. It flexes ok, but it's black and blue (blood, hence swelling). It brought the gardening work to a swift end though, so it's not all bad news :D

Ouch, or words to that effect Karl :shock: (hammer) Can't do much about thumbs, except try and be careful of course, but steel toe-capped boots are essential in the workshop I reckon Roger !

Cheers, Paul ( who nearly lost the end of his finger on the bandsaw a few weeks ago :oops: :roll: )

i hurt a finger in the same way i almost fainted

also a new pair of boots could be in order? :lol:

adidat

Nice.

I had one today that made me get the first aid out (unlike me just let it bleed and get on things) A vice I was fitting slipped and the screw rod thingy span cutting my knuckle to the bone.

I used to have a habbit of dropping chisels, due to this ill not do any work without steels on. I name tools and chisels are called Toe Choppers

adidat":3c39z8sw said:
also a new pair of boots could be in order? :lol:

adidat

#-o

They're the comfiest boots i've ever had - DeWalt. Had them about 2 years now, and need to order another pair.

paulm":33bkfjo0 said:
Cheers, Paul ( who nearly lost the end of his finger on the bandsaw a few weeks ago :oops: :roll: )

Doesn't sound good.

I remember Duncan (Brad Naylor, Dan Taylor, The Alchemist etc etc) telling me that when he chopped off half his big thumb on the table saw he put his thumb in his mouth, as you do, until he felt the blood gushing into his mouth and realised what he'd done :lol:

I swear I would have passed out and bled to death if that had been me!

Yes must admit I wear dewalt boots too in the workshop.

My accident didnt happen in the workshop though - I was in my Dads back yard on my way out with wife and kids with the caravan hanging on the back of my landy - dad asked the "just afor you go lad help us move this?"

After the removing the offending log from my foot I then proceeded to drive 150 miles before trying to remove the boot I had on my foot, only a dealer boot though. That was the most painful journey I have ever made!!

Ah, I see. What I should have said is the camera (phone) held between knees, the capture button pressed with pencil in the gob.

I've got one of those fancy modern looking hammers with a square head - it don't half hurt when you hit your thumb with the corner of the head...

Once I was trying to chop through a root with a double-edged bill-hook. It was going OK until the hook bounced back quickly into my finger right through to the bone...
I didn't pass out but it was a close thing.

When I was an apprentice Tinbasher I chopped a tradesmans finger off. In my defence it was his fault M'lud. He had me crawl under a guillotine to operate the pedal he couldn't reach. He said No I heard Go.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
I did the same with a lump hammer. Had to go to casualty.
All they did was heat up a paper clip to red, and burn through the nail to release the pressure.
it works, but I wouldn't try it yourself. It isn't as simple as it looks and you can easily burn the nail bed. Which can become infected.

HTH :|

Back