DON'T FORGET!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WARNING to all those going to the show your wallet is in great danger.

I have been over to English Hardwoods today to have a look through the wood he is taking to the show and maybe buy a few pieces I came away with a car full of various pieces but I did leave some for you to buy. In fact he is going to have to make 2 trips with both the car/van and trailer full to get it there.

Just to give you an idea of the wood he will have at Daventry,

Spalted beech, beautiful patterns

Chestnut burrs, I did leave some.

Ash, this is really beautiful very pale with beautiful grain.

And a lot of other types including some good looking yew logs.

You have been warned but you will need to get there early on the Saturday to get the best stuff.

john

No Horse Chestnut

Beautiful stuff you can make things like this

This was done on the Hegner.

john

Parking seemed a bit at a premium. Both car parks full at 10:30 and still full when I left at 11:45.

An interesting show, and all credit to those that organise it.
Ashley Ilse had a good presence there, but one wonders why Axminster or Tool Post bother turning up with so little on offer or to show. I'd also expected more show offers from the likes of Chesnut, who again didn't exactly excite or interest with their presence.

Walking from the car park...
Punter:"It's a bit poorly sign posted"
Me: "Just follow the grey hair"
Punter:"Too true"

Full marks for the show organisers and the club stand entries, some impressive work on display and friendly chat and openness about styles, preferences and methods.
Had several pieces pointed out to me by the boss as being intuitive and something to keep in mind as a method of using some of those awkward bits of wood.
DSCN4446.jpg
DSCN4447.jpg
DSCN4448.jpg
DSCN4449.jpg
DSCN4450.jpg
DSCN4451.jpg

Loads of individual demonstrations going on and quite a few folks getting hands on tuition from Richard and others during the day.
Some impressive selections of quality wood at reasonable pricing, attractive enough to give us a smile or two when we popped down the town lunchtime for a bite to eat and passed the various acquisitions at rest on their journey back to the car park.

A decent selection of trade stands which is to be commended considering all of them must be making a considerable loss travelling to the event and overnight accommodation which has to be absorbed into the advertising or good will budgets.

Attachments

• DSCN4446.jpg
    DSCN4446.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 591
  • DSCN4447.jpg
    DSCN4447.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 591
  • DSCN4448.jpg
    DSCN4448.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 591
  • DSCN4449.jpg
    DSCN4449.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 591
  • DSCN4450.jpg
    DSCN4450.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 591
  • DSCN4451.jpg
    DSCN4451.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 591
I would second everything Chas has said. A most enjoyable day that parted me from a fair old chunk of money :)

And I would third it.

Graham - sorry I didn't get to say hello - we should have arranged a meeting point, not just relied on male intuition!!

It was nice to see Richard Findley and Chas and Diane, though Chas, my Missus didn't believe me when I said 'Chas made my buy it!' about the Chestnut buffing system....

Seriously though, I have looked at a few 'systems' (ie collections of mops with a diddy mandrel) and I have to say I was impressed with the quality of the one's Terry was demo-ing - Clearly much better made and a good size (8" diameter - which is way bigger than many others I have seen).

Andrew Hall's little hat demo was great as well - another training course to save up for!! (hammer)

Well done all at Daventry, including the lovely ladies on the cake stall - snoozing in front of the TV tonight :wink:

gregmcateer":2zzyzeoj said:
Well done all at Daventry, including the lovely ladies on the cake stall -

Oh yes, I had forgotten about them. The chocolate cake was scrummy.

I probable saw you, and Chas, but who knows ?

Grahamshed":1x5rzd7n said:
Peter has said somewhere that there is plenty of parking just opposite.

I had no problem in the underground car park!

As to the shortage of spaces I sympathise but there were other events organised without our prior knowledge!

In the afternoon parking was not a problem but, Yes if you are a stranger in town it was problematic!

Last year was easy to park so I can only apologise for any misleading information .

regards, Peter.

Grahamshed":k8a0p01t said:
I got there about 9.45 and there was plenty of room in the carpark then :)
Sorry not to meet you Peter.

It was difficult to miss me IF (A big if) you bought a raffle ticket!

I was sitting at the ticket table JUST inside the door for 2 and a half hours selling tickets!

I must admit I was hoping to make your acquaintance!

I did meet Chas through Richard Findley and the pleasure in ACTUALLY meeting "the man" was a feather in the cap!

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed today despite the daft questions! (Not from Chas, I hasten to add!)

Regards Peter.

Ahh. In that case I did see you, I got a couple of tickets as I came in ( fella with the white stick )
You don't look much like your avatar :)

Back