Donkey's Ear Shooting Board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a version of Wearing’s many moons ago, as you see it doesn’t get much use :)

efbba27636cc5611a18b233498e6c2f9.jpg

Nylon rubbing edge:

97adde9c4c5d8da81e30872d979bc687.jpg

Rod

Rob, this in haste, called away to Beddinburgh on a domestic emergency! ](*,)

The chuteing/shooting board is in "The Resourceful Woodworker" 1991, by Wearing.

Rob 1.jpg

Rob 2.jpg

(Hope to Gawd Batsford don't come after me with a big legal stick for copying those photos...)

Steve Maskery :!: built a copy in British Woodworking, August/September 2011, but I won't copy those pages here as they are Steve's (recent) intellectual property. [Robert Wearing's are a lot older, so I'm 'risking it for a biscuit' with them.]

As I said, yours is an improvement, particularly with adjustability and the 'in ramp' projecting left to settle and line up the plane. My only concern would be big clumsy ejits - like me - catching said arm on the edge of the bench as we manoevered the jig...the moment of force generated from the end of that extension could pull it away from the main body? My problem!! #-o

Sam

Attachments

• Rob 1.jpg
    Rob 1.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 229
  • Rob 2.jpg
    Rob 2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 229
SammyQ":6x1ot762 said:
Steve Maskery :!: built a copy in British Woodworking, August/September 2011, but I won't copy those pages here as they are Steve's (recent) intellectual property. [Robert Wearing's are a lot older, so I'm 'risking it for a biscuit' with them.]

Did I? Wow, you must have a very good filing system!

I hope I gave Bob Wearing credit. Apologies to him if I didn't, it's definitely where I got the original design from.

Thanks Sam; useful. No wonder I couldn't find it...I was looking in 'The Essential Woodworker' #-o - Rob

Hi Steve, you said in your article the plans came from a certain 1960's/70's woodworking magazine, that Bob Wearing and Charles Hayward used to practically run single handed? So, obliquely, you did award credit. I'm on my way north to be DIY-Dad for a few days, but, if you want, I'll scan the article and send you a copy.
Yes, I have a good filing system; I've always been a compulsive organiser and had that accentuated at uni when I discovered a yen (and the ability) for taxonomy. I've also got a prodigious memory - or so my colleagues and family tell me - so organising 'tear sheets' from magazines comes as second nature.

Sam

It's OK Sam, although I got rid of lots of magazines, I kept all my GWs and BWs, so I'll have it somewhere.
2011 was when life was going pear-shaped, and I'm pretty sure that I built that, and wrote about it well before then, because at that time I was busy trying to get my films finished before I lost my workshop, rather than actually making stuff.
I'll see if I still have the original article.

Edit - written 9th Feb 2009. :)

Latest posts

Back