Done it

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickfb

Established Member
Reaction score
Went out to look at a lathe today, just to look mind you honest. Ended up buying a Record DML305. What with a Nova chuck and a set of turning chisels. Not much change from £500, that's with the wife encouraging me bless her.
Must say I was impressed with the lathe, plenty of cast iron. Have played with a bit today no vibration and really quiet. Looking forward to turning some 2x2 into shavings tomorrow.
Mick

Hi mick

May i wish you many years of happy turning on your new lathe, i think that they are a good tool let us know how you get on.

Regards
Berns

Thanks all for the encouragement.
Well today I have been making shavings out of 2x2. I have had a great day on the lathe.
Why is it that you make a half decent job of a bit of turning then think, I will give it a little bit more then it all goes wrong. I can see this taking over my life ha ha. Them spindle gouges are difficult.
Lots and lots of practice me thinks. Got a DVD by Gary Rance on woodturning, that has been useful.

I am sure that you will have a lot of fun. I am very much a beginner but I am hooked. Trouble is, it's too easy to keep spending.... spent 200 quid Friday, shhhh, don't tell SWMBO :wink:

Post some pictures when you have something you are pleased with.

BM

Jonzjob, I have seen your work and its great so I'm guessing that is a dig at me :(

Oh well, I enjoy making hamster bedding and fancy firewood and that's what counts :D

No no no Bogmonster! I am not having a dig at you at all. If that is how it came over then I am truely sorry. What I was trying to say is thta we all start crawling, then walking, etc.

If a living could be earned from hamster bedding then I would have a very large yacht by now!

I starting turning about 16 years ago when I had to take early retirement after I screwed my back up at work. I learned by trial and error until I had a weekend course with Ian Wilkie. That is the only 'formal' training I have had.

A lot of the other 'training' I have had is from what has been posted on here and believe me I have learned loads from the guys on here.

The day I stop learning is the day they nail the lid on me :mrgreen:

Back