Donating tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gogsi

Established Member
Reaction score
Wondered if anyone knew of an organisation where one could donate some or all of the tools one has accumulated over the years, when it's time to go to that woodshop in the sky?
I've no intention of going there any time soon, just wanted to be prepared - like a good boy scout.

I was hoping there might be a charity or organisation which might help young people who are keen on making things with their hands, as it occurred to me that no-one in my family would have a clue what to do with all of my bits and bobs.
Hopefully, if there are any places, they'd be able to uplift the items.
Thanks for any suggestions.

I’ve donated to tools with a mission.

https://www.twam.uk/
But agree with local sheds that are being set up, I’ve got involved with the creation of our local shed and am quite amazed at what people donate. I’ve just collected a 1908 ish complete Drummond lathe and a load of accessories which the owner wanted to be used in the shed or sold and the money donated to the shed.

If you have tools that are good, antique or interesting, I would offer them up on ebay.
I think that will reach a wider audience including people specifically looking for what you may have to offer who will actually value their purchase.
Do as you choose with your proceeds.

The disadvantage of donating blind to any organisation is that the recipients may not appreciate something unusual or lack skill to use it / to not break it. The tools that you cared for can be ruined or discarded in short order if they cost the recipient nothing.
Much better (in my mind) if you can donate to individuals.
Old hand tools have real charm.
Old powertools (especially DIY) may sadly have little value or attraction to others as technology does move on.

I have experience of donating quite a valuable machine to a local shed hoping for it to be better used. I learned afterwards that it languished for weeks and was finally sold off for little money. Someone, somewhere did benefit, but not the shed. It would have been better to ebay it and donate the funds.

Last edited:
Ha yes but we are about to move buildings so no rush.... The table saw is in hibernation till we get the new building in January 🤞🤞🤞

Cheers James

It's 2021, and men's shed advertises itself for men over 50+. know for a fact that some men's sheds are looking for younger men/women/diversified

Suggest you look for local makerspaces which are less disriminatory and maybe moe accepting of the facts of our lives

Thanks so much for all of your kind replies they've given me plenty to think about.
G

Where did you see that advertised? Men's sheds are open to men and women over the age of 18.

Unfortunately its on the front page of-their website and I quote.

"They're community spaces for men to connect, converse and create. The activities are often similar to those of garden sheds, but for groups of men to enjoy together. They help reduce loneliness and isolation, but most importantly, they’re fun. Find out more about them."

My local shed is open to all and makes no mention of men.

What about WI guides and brownies???

To me we have gone overboard in accomodating everybody and in effect neglecting those who might well need support....

There are sheds that are open to younger members and to women, but as a concept it was aimed at older men and that original concept still has value. Men will engage in conversation about health and wellbeing amongst people of the same age and gender that they will not have in mixed or younger company. I know. I've seen how this works in practice.

Some sheds need to be more inclusive as a way to increase membership and funding to be viable. It's the member's choice.
Some shed memberships may choose to be inclusive to women and juniors because that is what their membership want, and yes they should have access to craft spaces.

Anyone advocating for wider inclusivity because of their views on equality must remember that this equality comes at a price paid by other people who's needs are then being placed second.

It's very funny to watch older husbands being brought down to the shed by their wives because they (or the Doctor) think "It will be good for him".
Conversation is entirely artifical while the wife sits and shares a cuppa.
As soon as she steps out, the ragging starts, the blokes begin to loosen up and the conversation becomes much easier. Most visitors enjoy hanging out and some even come back :)
Grumpy old men are v politically incorrect.

It's for each shed to decide what it wants to bee and who it's there to support, but there may be value in having men only, women only and mixed attendance days to try and benefit as many as possible according to their needs.

There is a national organisation of men's sheds but this is a self appointed thing that individual, independent, sheds may choose to become members of. It promises to be a good forum for sharing knowledge and experience, but many sheds don't choose to join it and it can't claim to speak for all..

Last edited:
Perhaps you could donate to Help for Heroes. This is for ex servicemen, who are retired from the Army, especially with mental health issues.They are taken on a Woodworking Course for several weeks then....encouraged to branch out on their own. The problem of course is setting this up with no capital. A set of tools is therefore of huge benefit, and as their skills improve small machines can be of enormous help. Please consider this. Information is available via an enquiry to Google. There main HQ is in Catterick Barracks, Yorkshire.
I’m also just about to get involved in a local Men in Sheds project which is hoping to get up and running in the Summer based in Groombridge, near Tunbridge Wells. They have now put up the Building and in the process of fitting it out using volunteer labour. Local businesses have been very generous with help as well....
I’ll update you when things move on a bit.

Back