domino xl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feders

Established Member
Reaction score
After much research and thought i have bought a Domino Xl. I feel that with the type of work i do this will help speed the process up of specific tasks.

It is a really well thought out tool and although it is big it's easy to handle. I know it is an expensive tool and with the extra systainers it adds up to even more. However, i really do believe it would cut down on time spent in front of a mortiser.(Won't loose the moticer though\)

I will let you know how i get on with it and if anyone has any questions about it i will do my best to answer.

So far so good.

feders":thehvb6j said:
After much research and thought i have bought a Domino Xl. I feel that with the type of work i do this will help speed the process up of specific tasks.

It is a really well thought out tool and although it is big it's easy to handle. I know it is an expensive tool and with the extra systainers it adds up to even more. However, i really do believe it would cut down on time spent in front of a mortiser.(Won't loose the moticer though\)

I will let you know how i get on with it and if anyone has any questions about it i will do my best to answer.

So far so good.

worthless.gif

:mrgreen:

When i saw the price i was like :shock:
when i was making up my mind i was like :roll:
When i told the wife she was like :evil:
And i felt :twisted:

I've had one for about 4 months now, sold the 500 version. It's more or less the same as the 500 except it plunges deeper (Up to 70mm). Mainly due to the cutters being longer and it's a fair bit heavier as well.
Because the machine is longer than the smaller 500 the rotating cutter is exposed, in part due to the redesign of the extraction hood, so remember to keep your fingers on the handles.
Not much use for cabinets as the Domino's only start at 8mm, & go up to 14mm. And the minimum plunging depth is 15mm.

And just to catch owners who have had the 500 the XL depth gauge reads the same for both indexing scales, ie they're set for the center of the cutter & not for the thickness of the stock your using :shock: :D .

It comes in the most ridiculous sized box you've ever seen, I didn't bother with the other boxes, I just buy the 750mm lengths & cut them to the size I need, it's definitely more cost effective this way imho.

The redesign of the end stop registers is one of the most useful additions. (see link below)

http://www.stargateunofficial.com/FOG/D ... _stops.JPG

For me it's a more useful machine than the 500, it's used most days of the week.
FWIW, Like the 500 it works best when hooked to an extractor,........... in fact it needs an extractor.

feders":33cox3pl said:

So far so good.

So now you have had this a while what do you think?

For furniture making can it replace the traditional M & T?

Or with hindsight would you have been better with a Biscuit Jointer or Joint Genie?

FWIW, If your only making furniture you might be better looking at the 500. The XL minimum plunge is 15mm and the smallest cutter is 8mm. It can also be a bit unwieldy on small pieces.

Oh & don't forget to hook either machine to an extractor as mentioned in above posts.

Brian Jackson":2j3iyiwp said:
I have the Elu biscuit joiner and the 500 Domino and love them both.

Which tasks do you use each machine for? I thought that if you had the Domino you would not need the biscuit jointer, or am I mistaken?

Charlie Woody":3qs5u3j0 said:
Brian Jackson":3qs5u3j0 said:

Which tasks do you use each machine for? I thought that if you had the Domino you would not need the biscuit jointer, or am I mistaken?
You are indeed sir.

I mostly use the elu for aligning boards, as well as box making.

The Domino I use for mortise and tenon joints. Shelving and the like, where 10mm is needed for strength.

Brian Jackson":1rtmng94 said:
Charlie Woody":1rtmng94 said:
Brian Jackson":1rtmng94 said:

You are indeed sir.

I mostly use the elu for aligning boards, as well as box making.

The Domino I use for mortise and tenon joints. Shelving and the like, where 10mm is needed for strength.

Could the smaller Dominos be used for aligning boards and for box making?

I've got the XL too. As with virtually all Festool tools it is well thought out and very well engineered. Overall I think the DF500 is more useful in the workshop (certainly for carcass construction etc). But for doors and M&T type joinery, the XL is fantastic!

Paul

Back