Domino Jointers Are they really worth it, or just a gimic

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
šŸ˜† Thank you. And please, your thread - post / repost what you like! My workshop is about 280 sq ft but split into two rooms, so the actual workspace side isnā€™t much bigger than yours - though you canā€™t beat a decent chunk of storage! I had to be reasonably organised just to get thought the kind of work I did, but if itā€™s the workspace you have, then you have to make it work! šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ‘
Am I imagining this or was it in one of your videos, you showed your workshop was across the road from your house? I might be getting you mixed up with someone else, but I recall my workshop envy going up a few notches when I saw that(y):ROFLMAO:.
I really like your workshop and even the 'untidy' end is still way more tidy than mine.

Am I imagining this or was it in one of your videos, you showed your workshop was across the road from your house? I might be getting you mixed up with someone else, but I recall my workshop envy going up a few notches when I saw that(y):ROFLMAO:.
I really like your workshop and even the 'untidy' end is still way more tidy than mine.
Yep, thatā€™s mine; itā€™s why I put up with its many shortcomings - an honest to goodness, small affordable commercial workspace thatā€˜s 30 seconds away - if I have to wait to cross the road. If only it was a little bit bigger... šŸ˜‚šŸ‘

Peanuts are limited function connectors: butt joints only, pretty much. Cheap and cheerful.
Having watched the promotional video many times trying to get a better understanding of these things I concluded that they are fiddly, to many bits and adjustments for a limited use and I also tread carefully when a product has a name such a Peanuts, do not like something with a name that has no bearing on the product or it's function. Where does a peanut come into play, it is certainly not the cost.

To answer your question, as a tool based on quality and comparing to other brands like Makita, Bosch and Dewalt then it is way over priced, if you want it's functionality and it can deliver benefits to your woodworking or business then it is reasonably priced because you have no options, there are no competative choices. I thought it could offer a faster method of joinery when compared to my Dowelmax, if I were younger then I think I would have looked at upskilling so as I could confidently produce more traditional M&T's or loose tenon joints but for some joints the domino works whilst for others it cannot get close to my Dowelmax, but the domino is great for sheet goods when used in conjunction with the FC tools DAJ. From a design aspect I believe for the 700 that rather than basing it around a biscuit jointer that it would have been better based upon a router, think about that one.

So to conclude the domino will always be a gimic to some and a valuable asset to others, whilst for myself I just hoped it would bridge a gap in my skills, so for now the jury is still out because it failed to deliver straight out of the box and I am having to come up with work arounds.

You only feel let down because you imagine it has flaws which in real life do not matter. Bang the one big domino in that joint on the tight setting, glue up and move on.

3.jpg

Positioning the biscuit slots ..Regards from Perth

Derek

That picture is absolutely THE use-case for biscuits or Tensos. Only with the lamello you can reference off the sharp point of the mitre. Then if boards vary in thickness by a fraction of a millimetre then the joggle is inside. With Tenso as the connector you don't have to worry about having enough jigs and cramps to apply pressure across the face of the mitre.

Only with the lamello you can reference off the sharp point of the mitre.
I think you're in error. The DeWalt biscuit/plate jointer can also be set up to reference off the outer point of the mitre, as I described earlier, so that ability isn't exclusive to the Lamello machines. I've been doing mitre biscuits using that technique with my DeWalt for perhaps three decades, or more, now. Having said that, I've always found the Lamello machines are generally superior to any other brand I've used, although I've never owned one, just used other people's when I've worked for them from time to time. Slainte.

Having watched the promotional video many times trying to get a better understanding of these things I concluded that they are fiddly, to many bits and adjustments for a limited use and I also tread carefully when a product has a name such a Peanuts, do not like something with a name that has no bearing on the product or it's function. Where does a peanut come into play, it is certainly not the cost.
Oh dear, you are going to find the modern world very difficult.

Still, youā€™ll never need to buy a domino, biscuit or peanut system for woodwork, is a screw ok or is it too far from ā€œinclined plane rotated around a central axisā€ for you to make the leap?

I think you're in error. The DeWalt biscuit/plate jointer can also be set up to reference off the outer point of the mitre, as I described earlier, so that ability isn't exclusive to the Lamello machines. I've been doing mitre biscuits using that technique with my DeWalt for perhaps three decades, or more, now. Having said that, I've always found the Lamello machines are generally superior to any other brand I've used, although I've never owned one, just used other people's when I've worked for them from time to time. Slainte.
You are absolutely right; my error. And the Domino can be adapted to reference off the sharp point too; there is a YouTuber from France showing how it can be done, somewhere.
EDIT: now found the YT Video. Pardon, la vidƩo est en franƧais. See 3:40 for the short of time.

Last edited:
...snip...
Well, leaving aside the silliness of that paragraph (I was earning money from Adsense while I was still making a living from fitted furniture, and I have no idea how much credibility Piers Morgan's left foot has - do tell) that's absolutely your right to hold those opinions, no matter how wrong or baseless they are.
...snip....
Heaven forfend anyone should seek the audacious deployment of simile and metaphor on this forum; it might upset the concrete thinkers.

Oh dear, you are going to find the modern world very difficult.

Still, youā€™ll never need to buy a domino, biscuit or peanut system for woodwork, is a screw ok or is it too far from ā€œinclined plane rotated around a central axisā€ for you to make the leap?

Well said (y)

How long do patents last, before other companies can make use of the technology before launching their own version ?. I seem to remember it's something like 20 years.
Leading to the next question of how long has the domino machine been in use*.

*Again, seem to remember its something like 2005 or 2006 :unsure: so maybe in 5 years we'll start seeing more versions on the market, and no doubt a considerable drop in price.

How long do patents last, before other companies can make use of the technology before launching their own version ?. I seem to remember it's something like 20 years... Again, seem to remember its something like 2005 or 2006 :unsure: so maybe in 5 years we'll start seeing more versions on the market, and no doubt a considerable drop in price.

20 years from the first filing, so perhaps as early as 2024?? But I think itā€™ll play out more like the tracksaw market; established manufacturers first, coming in at the same - or slightly lower - price point that Festool have established. Then, years after, we get OK quality copies, before finally after a decade or so we get genuinely useful budget options.

Except of course, saws - even plunge saws - are relatively simple compared with something like a domino.

As @JobandKnock says above, look at the attempts to copy the duo-doweller - literally two drill bits, all you have to do is make sure that point in the same direction and engineer a halfway-decent fence - but the likes of Triton canā€™t even manage that after how many years of trying? So, given the relative complexity, engineering-wise, of the Domino I donā€™t see it working out for the budget makers, certainly not for a while. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

20 years from the first filing, so perhaps as early as 2024?? But I think itā€™ll play out more like the tracksaw market; established manufacturers first, coming in at the same - or slightly lower - price point that Festool have established. Then, years after, we get OK quality copies, before finally after a decade or so we get genuinely useful budget options.

Except of course, saws - even plunge saws - are relatively simple compared with something like a domino.

As @JobandKnock says above, look at the attempts to copy the duo-doweller - literally two drill bits, all you have to do is make sure that point in the same direction and engineer a halfway-decent fence - but the likes of Triton canā€™t even manage that after how many years of trying? So, given the relative complexity, engineering-wise, of the Domino I donā€™t see it working out for the budget makers, certainly not for a while. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
I just bought a domino today so I hope you are right šŸ˜„.

What are these patents anyway? Oscillating and drilling to make mortices isn't it as that is as old as the hills for stationary machines. It's difficult to think of what else could be essential to re-engineering the same result.

What are these patents anyway? Oscillating and drilling to make mortices isn't it as that is as old as the hills for stationary machines. It's difficult to think of what else could be essential to re-engineering the same result.
If that was the case, they wouldnā€™t have a patent or any clout when it came to enforcing it, which isnā€™t evident from the number of competing designs available on the market.
Even a simple thing like a pencil has a lot of technology involved in its making and distribution, itā€™s just not evident from the outside.

Back