Domino angled joint to flat face

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayno

Reaction score
Hi. 'm hoping someone with more knowledge than me can help please.

I am building a trapezoid box and want to join with dominos. The box is constructed simply by cutting angles at the end of the panels ( no mitre joints ) at 15 degrees. For pieces A and B I just set the fence parallel on the Domino and cut slots parallell to the wood but I cant for the life of me work out how to get the correct angles in pieces C and D ( crude drawing attached, dominoes marked in orange ) as I cant work out how to hold the piece and set the domino. Any advice gratefully received please ! :D

Attachments

• Trapezoid_Domi.jpg
    Trapezoid_Domi.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 260
Disclaimer: never used a domino.

Working on a dowel type fixing principle can you not just make a wedge of the appropriate angle and domino through the wedge. Fixed to a board/jig for stability ?

Trapezoid_Domi.jpg

Attachments

• Trapezoid_Domi.jpg
    Trapezoid_Domi.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 258
That is tricky, I'll grant you.
I think you are going to have to use the ENDS of the boards as your reference faces, rather than the faces of the boards. That is not easy as they are much thinner than the fence of the Domino is long.
S

Steve Maskery":2tbvkxpc said:
That is tricky, I'll grant you.
I think you are going to have to use the ENDS of the boards as your reference faces, rather than the faces of the boards. That is not easy as they are much thinner than the fence of the Domino is long.
S

But you could clamp a big square block on, making the end temporarily wider. Would that work?

Why use a domino in the first place? Not a good method with mortices so near end grain. Just cos you've spent a million quid on a gadget doesn't mean you have to use it!
I'd probably just rebate the ends of the long pieces and butt the short pieces into the rebate.
Or house the short pieces into the long pieces over length - then plane back to the housing.

Umm. Might be better using a pillar drill or a milling machine if you have access to one. Set the table to 15 degrees and then drill (mill) out the sockets. Accuracy will be a challenge but then it would be if you were trying to support the domino machine.
Good luck
Dave

Sorry, I didn't read the q properly. This is a box rather than a frame, is it? Is that drawing a plan view? If it is, a domino is not really a suitable joint; lots of end grain, not much face-face grain.
I think I'd be looking at mitres reinforced with splines.
That's not trivial either! :)

Agreed, not suitable for dominos. Do it the Alan Peters way and use some lengths of 6mm ply located in grooves...sort of like elongated biscuits but much stronger - Rob

woodbloke66":3v7rmp5n said:
Agreed, not suitable for dominos. Do it the Alan Peters way and use some lengths of 6mm ply located in grooves...sort of like elongated biscuits but much stronger - Rob
If you were going to do that it'd make more sense to form a tongue on the inside face of the side pieces and slot it into a groove in the long piece.
In other words a very common and conventional box joint, stronger and easier than biscuits, dominos, loose tongues etc. I made 100s of boxes that way when I was into toy making. The only better joint would be dovetails (or the machined "box" joint which is not suitable for hand techniques)
Picture of tongue and groove joint here if you scroll down https://www.popularwoodworking.com/proj ... y-cabinet/
Doing it at an angle makes it harder - a saw table would be useful.

woodbloke66":3u5mz1sz said:

Agreed. It's far from optimal, as it is still largely endgrain, but at least it is a lot of end-grain.

If you really want to use your domino you could maybe do a through domino (if you don't mind the end of domino on show), clamp the pieces together how they are going to be and shoot a domino through both at the same time.

I've made loads of drawers that way. I nail the box together( not putting nails where dominos are going ) the domino through.

So the drawing is in plan view?

If so then why not rotate the domino 90 degrees so that we are looking at the thin edge of the domino not the width. Then you can use the fence on the domino set to 15 degrees.

Does that make sense? Obviously that only works if there is enough depth of material but you said it was a box not a frame. I hope I’ve explained what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back