Domi_no or Domi-yes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lord Kitchener":finyjh8v said:
The mortise that it cuts is not parallel with the base of the tool.

I guess you probably know this but there are a very few reports of this which seem to be manufacturing errors, and 99% of the time the reason is plunge speed (too fast usually, but IIRC too slow can also be problem). There's loads of info out there on FOG etc.

The reason I know is I went through that loop and yes I blamed the tool.

Otherwise the fence is out, but that's fixable too.

Jake":3qgwyrxo said:
Lord Kitchener":3qgwyrxo said:

I guess you probably know this but there are a very few reports of this which seem to be manufacturing errors, and 99% of the time the reason is plunge speed (too fast usually, but IIRC too slow can also be problem). There's loads of info out there on FOG etc.

Well I'm in the 1% then, because I tried a number of different possibilites, until I was forced to the conclusion that the tool itself was out of line. The fence gives a worse result than the base (workpiece on same flat surface as base). I've got mine cutting straight now as I have shimmed up one side of it. If I find myself with a gap in my schedule I will send it back for them to look at, in the meantime it's working acceptably and I only use it for that one job, I prefer pocket crews for cabinet assembly, I've never found anything else so accurate, plus I can dismantle a cabinet if I ever need to.

As a recent Dom purchaser and user, I've been quite impressed. However, mine is an original MkI version that I bought second hand (complete with a box of doms), it having seen very little use and at the time, I happened to have the spare cash available. Thus far, I've used it on one project but it'll be my preferred method of doing m/t's in the future.
That said, it's hideously expensive for amateur or hobbyist use and there's no way that a brand new one would ever be a priority, it's just that in my case there was a happy coincidence 'twixt having the cash available and the offer of a good second hand machine. At the moment, I've still got my Lamello C2 which still also gets used a lot - Rob

Lord Kitchener":2a9la90l said:
Jake":2a9la90l said:
Lord Kitchener":2a9la90l said:

Well I'm in the 1% then, because I tried a number of different possibilites, until I was forced to the conclusion that the tool itself was out of line. The fence gives a worse result than the base (workpiece on same flat surface as base). I've got mine cutting straight now as I have shimmed up one side of it. If I find myself with a gap in my schedule I will send it back for them to look at, in the meantime it's working acceptably and I only use it for that one job, I prefer pocket crews for cabinet assembly, I've never found anything else so accurate, plus I can dismantle a cabinet if I ever need to.

I use PH screws too but I don't think a cabinet would be very strong without some form of location, be it a dowel biscuit or whatever. Am I going OTT on my construction?

Back