Domestic Vacuum Cleaners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeturner123

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sure people have very firm view on these, so can I have any recommendations for a new vacuum cleaner bearing in mind we have a dog, both carpets and ard floors and stairs!

I'm not that keen on Henry types favouring an upright.

Cost clearly comes into it and, unless told otherwise, I'm not sure I can justify a very pricy Dyson.

The two I'm particularly looking at are the Shark Duo Clean and the Dyson Ball 2+ upright.

Anyone any experience/advice?

Phil

well, not taking the p here (and no good on stairs), but I got a robotic one on the recent amazon prime day and it is absolutely brilliant on both hard and carpeted floors. we also have a dog.

We had a DC01 Dyson for almost 20 yrs - ran like a trooper until this summer when it finally died. Replaced it with a lightly used DC07 from Gumtree. I couldn't justify the cost of a new "all singing all dancing" one.

If you find one you like, you'll always find someone who's selling one on Gumtree or eBay as they've just "upgraded" theirs. ;)

We had a VAX upright for about five years. It was OK, but a bit on the heavy side and better in straight lines than manoeuvring into corners, around furniture etc. When it gave up the ghost about six months ago, we bought one of the Shark Lift-Away ones. I've been very impressed with it, the carpets look great and the head pivots so it's much easier to use. It's actually frightening how much gunk it sooked out of the carpets! :shock:

Hope that helps

Brian

Ive used most hovers in clients homes over the years, at home I've had kirby which are built like battleships but heavy for stairs,I also have dyson V8 animal, which is very light and easy to use.
If you want the ultimate cleanser that is light,easy to use and will put a smile on your face everytime you use it you should have a look at these. https://www.vorwerk.co.uk/kobold/vacuum ... m-cleaner/

Jonathan

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Miele cat and dog, but get a second hand older one, the new ones have lower power ratings and don’t work as well.

Jonathan S":1gdebefh said:
Ive used most hovers in clients homes over the years, at home I've had kirby which are built like battleships but heavy for stairs,I also have dyson V8 animal, which is very light and easy to use.
If you want the ultimate cleanser that is light,easy to use and will put a smile on your face everytime you use it you should have a look at these. https://www.vorwerk.co.uk/kobold/vacuum ... m-cleaner/

Jonathan

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Only £749 and it can detect the floor :)

Brian

On our second dyson with a silly detour via an electrolux in between. They are great, but they're bleeping loud. I have tinnitus these days so I won't use it. I have secondhand commercial low noise vacs (Karcher and Nilfisk) bought for the workshp but I now use one indoors as it's so much quieter than almost every domestic machine you can buy.

Rockford":g80eckjk said:
We had a VAX upright for about five years. It was OK, but a bit on the heavy side and better in straight lines than manoeuvring into corners, around furniture etc. When it gave up the ghost about six months ago, we bought one of the Shark Lift-Away ones. I've been very impressed with it, the carpets look great and the head pivots so it's much easier to use. It's actually frightening how much gunk it sooked out of the carpets! :shock:

Hope that helps

Brian

+1 for the Shark, great headlights too. : )

A question for anyone with a robotic cleaner. We have some floors which are quite a high gloss lacquered wood (a pain to maintain, TBH), and I've always been nervous that a robot would leave some slight marks (either from the brush or the wheels). Any experience?

I know you said you don't favour the Henry type however, I have had several different hoovers over the years, and like you favoured the uprights over the Henry type

I have had Dysons, worked well but broke down over a period several times, plus many others of various brands, all did a job of work

So our last one died and my wife said lets get a Henry, I was sceptical but frankly I have never had a better one, its lightweight and very quiet compared to every other I have had, it pulls the carpet off the floor its that powerful

Probably why all the bed and breakfast places and hotels use them ;-)

With Dyson you are paying for their massive marketing spend, and funding the extravagant lifestyle of the founder. I bought a V10 at crazy price for my son and his girlfriend as it was what she wanted, but personally we use Miele with HEPA filter that is outstandingly good. Miele stuff is built to last.

boardgamer":13g5cbgq said:
A question for anyone with a robotic cleaner. We have some floors which are quite a high gloss lacquered wood (a pain to maintain, TBH), and I've always been nervous that a robot would leave some slight marks (either from the brush or the wheels). Any experience?

They move pretty slowly and have rubber wheels. I think the main concern would be getting something sharp trapped under it, and it dragging that around scratching as it goes.

I have one (Eufy BoostIQ RoboVac) and they really are great. I was extremey skeptical at first and considered them a daft idea, but having used one for about 6 months, I wouldn't be without it. They don't replace your normal hoover as they can't get to all the spots a tube/hose can, so you'll still need to get out a proper hoover every week or so. I have mine set to automatically come on while I am in work. It runs for about two hours or so on a full charge.

Some things to keep in mind

- The trays are small, and need emptying often (I just use the main vac to empty and clean the filter)
- The brushes wear pretty fast, and will need replacing every 6 months or so
- You'll have to go around your house and remove any exposed cables/wires .. It will find them! :p

Oh and if your pets have accidents, probably not a good buy for you ;)

Another vote for Shark, their duo clean is utterly brilliant. Restored the pile on the lounge carpet. And it's incredible how it gets every crumb.

Battery powered as well no messing about with cables.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Looks like shark have a sale on at the moment. Probably new versions coming out.

sharkclean.eu

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back