Domestic tragedy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats pretty grim, poor boy. i have seen what a car battery in a washing machine can do, scary stuff

adidat

I saw a tv programme years back where a boy put his hand in a tumble dryer [laundrette] and it was twisted off. After checking which tendon operated which finger they sewed it back on. I think about that every time I sand the interior of a bowl on the lathe.

It was so avoidable, it takes only seconds to test the door interlock, seconds against a lifetime of disability. It's a tragedy.

Roy.

Can't help feeling that's a bit harsh Roy. I consider myself pretty adept when it comes to things mechanical and electrical but off the top of my head I wouldn't know how to test the interlock on the washing machine (other than to have a pull on the door when it's running of course). More to the point though it would never have even crossed my mind to test it as I had just assumed that no one would open a running washing machine much like you wouldn't touch the blade on your circular saw, children of course have a poorly developed sense of danger.

(other than to have a pull on the door when it's running of course)

That's the method wc. I don't know about now but when I was in the business that was in the safety instructions.
The machine was apparently rented and when I rented them out I even gave a demonstration. When I went out to repair a machine I always tested the interlock.
The rental company may be in difficulty here I think.
But I would take this oportunity to ask all those people on here who have children/grand children in their houses to please check their machines. The interlocks may have improved, I don't know, but they were just about the single most unreliable part component.
I've changed dozens!

Roy.

That's good to know. Our bundle of joy (or should that be screaming hell spawn :-D) is just big enough to start investigating things like the washing machine - the door has now been checked. The thing she really loves though is the dishwasher which worries me as it can get serious hot inside.

Saw that in the paper yesterday - poor child.

Thankfully our machine won't allow the door to be opened whilst running as it's an electrically powered catch. Mind you, neither of the children went thru that experiment phase with the washing machine. Although little madam did used to stand and watch the current one when we bought, when it was on. The drum is lit when in use and bloody silent, except for the odd button on a shirt, etc. hitting the glass. So she's stand there as if in a trance.

Doesn't have the same effect any more unfortunately. :roll:

Dibs

worries me as it can get serious hot inside.

There are child proof locks available wc.
Dibs, regretably that is not necessarily so, unless the design has changed.
The method used by a lot of manufacturers is/was thus.
You close the door then switch the machine ON. The door latch will have made contact and it is this, not the on/off switch that starts the machine cycle. At the same time the power should lock the door shut!
As you can see from that awful accident one part of the door switch can fail and leave the machine potentially lethal!
The only safe test is to try the door!
Sorry to bang on about it but I have a grandson not much older than that poor little sod.

Roy.

The normal test is as follows for those wishing to try it.
Start machine in the normal manner then listen for the sound of water entering the machine.
Now try the door!
If it opens there will be no flood as insufficient water will be in the tub.
If the door opens either dump it or have it repaired.

Roy.

I know what you mean Roy. On ours - once the cycle starts, you physically can't open the door. You have to use the manual override behind the filter flap on the bottom left.

Having said that - we've had it now for a few years, worth periodically checking.

Dibs

They are the most common fault dibs, many use a bi-metal strips to trigger the whole thing and that can fail with the broken part maintaining contact, in other words they don't 'fail safe!'

Roy.

That's true enough. The door of our utility room has a lock on it.

Roy.

Back