Doll house room

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melinda_dd

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm making a doll house box room from scratch... furniture as well and wondered if anyone would be intetested in a wip if so I'll post some pictures. ... its gonna be a woodwork shop

Absofrigginlutely please !

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Ok, well as long as there's someone who wants to see.... here we go.

Firstly I decided how big it was going to be... 18" x 12" can't remeber hieght will add later. But figured this would be a good size for a work shop.

I made the sides from 12mm mdf and ran a groove along the floor front and sides for perspex. I done this using my record plough plane as I dont have a small enough router bit.
The roof I haven't decided on yet.

I then glue and pinned the carcass together

Thats such a good idea for a dolls house ! So is the plan of the workshop copying one or is it your own arrangement ?

Coley

I wanted to make the walls like the inside of a barn with exposed beams.
So I cut some Lengths off of a bit of pallet wood which was 20mm wide by 4 mm thick.
I distressed these lengths and painted them to look like old beams, and decided on spacing..... I figured a 2ft gap between the beams would be good so with a 1:12 scale = 1" to 1ft

I marked where they would go, then applyed some filler very lightly to the floor to give a concrete look, and some more inbetween the beams thicker to get a look of lime render.

once that was dry I attached the beams with glue

Then once it was set I painted the walls with a cottage cream, and the floor a concrete grey.
The colours look a little solid, but these will be distressed/ adjusted as the project goes on.......

This is where I am so far....... keep watching

ColeyS1":12tvmu8n said:
Thats such a good idea for a dolls house ! So is the plan of the workshop copying one or is it your own arrangement ?

Coley

Thanks! I'm actually doing it for a village fair I go to every year. They have a competition marque with lots of different categories, of which I always enter a few. However this is the first time I will be entering the box room category.

I want to make as much as possible and not buy very much for it, mostly for the challenge of it....but also because money is an issue!! so far everything is recycled.... but we'll see how I go

No there's no plans involved.... it's all out of my head. I've put a few ideas on paper as to lay out buy that might change as I go..... can't find them now anyway!!!

Looking great so far. I love the walls and beams. Looks very realistic :)

If you want any lighting, drop me a line. It's my day job creating lighting for dolls houses and scale models.

Im sooooo jealous :mrgreen: it does look great even with just the beams and the paint. What other bits are you going to put in it, or is it a 'wait & see ' situation :cool:

Coley

Starting from the right front and working round. ....

A sink with cupboard under
Next to that a small area for kettle biscuits etc
Then in the corner a large work bench
Next to that along back wall a lathe bench
Next to that a bench with a draw unit on it for knobs etc
Next to that in the corner a spray bothe area
On left side a wood store
...... thats the plan anyway we'll see how I go!

I dont really want to fill it full of machines so hench the lack of table saw etc.

Thanks jen. I did consider lighting but as said money is a big issue on this so perhaps the next one....... what a great day job

No problem. I had in mind flexible strip LEDs which would be perfect as strip light effect lights but I appreciate your low budget.
Can't wait to see it when it's finished. It's looking great already.

Looking good Melinda, keep the WIP pics coming.

My late brother-in-law used saw dust a lot for his model railway layouts, he first painted the base with watered down PVA then sprinkled saw dust over, when dry paint green and you have football field, another trick he used was to squeeze out several lines of PVA, sprinkle saw dust and paint brown, that looked like the furrows in a farmers field. I know that's no good for your dolls house room but something to remember for the future? perhaps.

Baldhead
By the way if you need any saw dust just ask!!!

Cool thanks. I'll remember that. This won't be the last one I do. 1 because I'm really enjoying it 2 because I intend on winning the village show every year! !!

I also need to start thinking about an entry for the wood craft section.... a man that has won every year for 20 odd years has now called me his nemesis as ive won the past 2 years.... so I also have to keep that going too!!!

Not that im competitive you understand :wink:

Melinda_dd":1qp7d0cf said:
Yes there seems to be a niche for fluorescent looking strip lights for doll houses etc...haven't seen any do they make them?

Yes. They're not made for dolls houses but I sell smaller pieces of 3, 6 or 9 LEDs that can either be connected to a 12v transformer or run off a 9v battery (9v produces a dimmer light but still works fine). They just cost a few pounds each.

So today I started on the assembly bench and the sink cabinet.

The bench i wanted to look like it was made from the 3x2 sawn timber you get With a replaceable mdf top... there's always a rough looking workbench in a work shop!
The legs are made from pallet wood, and the rails are made from Mc D's coffee stirrers. Pegged with cocktail sticks.....
I didn't have a thin enough bit of mdf, so ran a 6mm bit over the router table and put a rebate on it (not seen as on bottom).. but from the top looks thin enough!
thought I had more pictures but seems not.... will add more tomorrow.

I had this sink unit knocking around so thought I'd use it. feels a bit like cheating but its not like ive bought it speacial.
It has a crack in the bottom of the bowl, but will disguise that somehow. And no taps so will replace them. It was too short so ive added a plinth, and it was also a black colour so rubbed it down and painted it.... I'll distress it as cream would not be cream in a workshop!!...

Attachments

• 20131108_121644.jpg
    20131108_121644.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 1,062
  • 20131108_125123.jpg
    20131108_125123.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 1,062
Looking good so far. Great fun making these I have made 2 houses and have one that my late father started which needs a lot of work to finish this is a shop with flats above. So I will be watching with interest.
Two days ago I found rolled up in some farm house plans three sheets with furniture plans on them.

That would be a nice project to finish. What furniture are the plans for?

I got a couple of good books from the library on making doll house furniture.

I know there is a toilet, bath,cooker, table lamp,g/father clock, fridge, table, chairs, dressing table, crib, bed, hutch and a sink unit, not much help for a workshop, but they can be adapted to what ever you want well except the loo

Dalboy":1dn2u0cx said:
I know there is a toilet, bath,cooker, table lamp,g/father clock, fridge, table, chairs, dressing table, crib, bed, hutch and a sink unit, not much help for a workshop, but they can be adapted to what ever you want well except the loo

Nice little find that!

Back