Doing well in the competitions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Findley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I thought I would make a post regarding the competitions from the judges (or one of them anyway!) perspective. I thought it might be helpful to those entering the competition (sorry, challenge :oops: ) to know what the judges are looking for. Perhaps Paul might like to add to my comments later.

Firstly, any judge in any competition is looking for the 2 Fs, Form and Finish. Whatever you make, you need to ensure that curves flow, straight lines or flat surfaces are just that and that all parts of the design valence and compliment each other. It is also critical that there is no torn grain, crushed grain, tool marks or catches visible on the finished job. These will immediately get marked down if not discounted entirely. On at least 2 occasions, when judging my final 5 (sounds like X Factor doesn't it!?) I have looked more closely at a piece (I can zoom you know!!) and marked them down because I have spotted a tooling issue.

Before you start designing or making your entry take a look at the judge and their work. Does a certain type or style of work appeal to them? For example, if one of the judges is a big fan of colouring and piercing you could go down that route, alternatively, if the judge is an expert in this field he might be more critical of it and so you would need to make sure your entry is top notch. And no, I'm not going to tell you my preferences, that would make it too easy, although if you look back at my comments in past competitions you might well get a feel for what I like and don't like!?

Finally (or at least until I think or anything else to add) I always off to give feedback and constructive criticism of an entry after the judging is over, only one person has ever taken me up on this offer and, without mentioning names, he has massively improved and indeed got some high placed entries. I'm not taking total credit for this but it may have helped don't you think? Take criticism and feedback on the chin and try to take it on board and improve from it. If you can't take it from others then at least be harsh with yourself!

All the best for the new year and the new year of challenges,

Richard

Richard,
Thanks for the global input on the challenges.
(And I don't mind mentioning names - I definitely appreciated the feedback, but am not sure 4th on one occasion counts as some high placed entries! :lol: )
I'll always ask for feedback - from the judges and the rest of you good people - Hopefully it will improve my work.
Thanks and Happy New Year to all.
Greg

Richard Findley":1ntve0mp said:
Finally (or at least until I think or anything else to add) I always offer to give feedback and constructive criticism of an entry after the judging is over, only one person has ever taken me up on this offer and, without mentioning names, he has massively improved and indeed got some high placed entries. I'm not taking total credit for this but it may have helped don't you think? Take criticism and feedback on the chin and try to take it on board and improve from it. If you can't take it from others then at least be harsh with yourself!...
Richard

My cracker is being slimmed down as i type this, I shall then repost some pics and demand a recount! :twisted:

Oops, ok Greg, make that 2 people that have asked for feedback and done well! :oops:

Nev, if you'd have done that before the challenge you would probably have won! :wink:

All the best

Richard

The new slimline cracker :)

just popped it on a jam 'chuck' and re-turned to size, re applied coloured bands, this time with a mix of red over gold and voila

photo.JPG

slight confession :oops: one of the internal ends has expanded fractionally so the top hat is too loose on one end now. thought I could get away with a few more coats of lacquer on the hat but its still loose, so currently helped to stay in place with an inch of masking tape on the inside of the tube :wink:

do i win now :twisted:

A couple of thngs I would add to what Richard said -

Firstly the third "F" - function! For example, if you are making a candlestick it must work as a candlestick, or in the case of these challenges, it must appear to work. the rest is obvous.

The other point - take care to get good quality, well lit, sharp photos. On more than one occasion over the last year, I have felt a particular entry would have scored higher if only the photos were either of better quality or were at an angle that showed the detail and shape better. I appreciate we are all amateurs when it comes to photography but try to do your entry justice!

I am absolutely sure the photography is vital, from personal experience I am sure my results have been influenced from time to time by my photographic efforts [positively and negatively]. My main problem is leaving it 'till the last minute and not having time to take a decent snap.

monkeybiter":24y1c4k3 said:
My main problem is leaving it 'till the last minute and not having time to take a decent snap.

Me too!
I like to take my photos in good natural light if I can. There`s not a lot of it around at this time of year!

Ian

I'd like to think I'm a better wood turner than a photographer. I can support that I suppose by saying that I've managed to sell loads that I've made but there's no chance that anybody would even consider buying any photo that I ever took. I have spent ages looking to try and find how I get the soft focus filter off the front of the camera. I went to Spec Savers and now I can see through the lens which is a start. I cant find the Truprint envelopes around anywhere these days though.

Seriously though I wouldn't even know how to get a picture to be 640 x 480 whatevers they are measured in so my photos of various pieces of rearranged wood will be rather arbitrary I'm afraid and may come with optional soft focus as even though my all singing and dancing camera is supposed to do it all for you you need a degree in IT to make the damn thing take a picture and four years to read the manual.

Back