Doh!! How do I repair this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fobos8

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I dry assembled this chair so I could measure up for leg stretchers.

broken_chair.jpg

Dunno what happened when I was taking it apart (probably not carefully enough) but it went crack!! (homer)

You can see crack in this photo. Its on the front leg just above the front rail mortise. Its about 20mm long
broken_chair2.jpg

Please someone tell me, "Everything's gonna be fine, you don't need to make another leg. You just need to do this......... and it will be even stronger than before!!"

What options are there for repairing it and which will be strongest.

How do I get the glue into the crack??

Best regards, Andrew

When I have had a problem like this before Andrew I prised the crack open and injected some glue into it and clamped it up. It was not on a chair I have to admit but it did make the joint good again and is still working fine up to now. It was a gate I made. HTH. :wink:

theartfulbodger":2mqf8088 said:
Will PVA go through a hypodermic (sp?) syringe?

yep, depends how small a needle you use, but you shouldn't need a tiny one, open it up as far as you can, squidge it in, wiggle it about with a stick then clamp it up

aidan

TheTiddles":1ol4s25q said:
theartfulbodger":1ol4s25q said:
Will PVA go through a hypodermic (sp?) syringe?

yep, depends how small a needle you use, but you shouldn't need a tiny one, open it up as far as you can, squidge it in, wiggle it about with a stick then clamp it up

aidan

If I open it up too much to get a big needle in the crack will get bigger won't it?

If I use a really narrow needle could I thin the PVA to get it to go through?

years* ago us kids used to use "plastic hypodermic things" to squirt water at each other..

I think these things used to be originally used for giving medicine to cows/calves , but they might be useful for squirting glue into cracks.

No idea really what they were called or for and I'm too drunk to google.

* far far too many really. a scary amount.

Hi, Fobos8

Split a front rail on one of my chairs by hammering the wedges in to far :cry: :oops: I squirted glue in from both sides pulled the wedges and clamped it across the split, and then taped the wedges in carefully.
Its has held very well and I can't see which one it was.
Once you get the rail glued in and the corner blocks it won't make any difference to the strenght of the joint.

Pete

johnf":1p6q97ey said:
A airline will blow glue into the crack if you open it slightly

This works a treat, you don't need a syringe just mask up the area and blow the glue in.

Agree with Simon. Works a treat when needs must. Remember to wash your lips afterwards, otherwise its becomes a sticky story.

I don't have a compressor so, just as an experiment, I tried one of these which I normally use for blowing dust from camera equipment. Works a treat :)

got doctor's appointment this afternoon.

If he doesn't give me a syringe (they're not suppossed to encourage drug addiction these days!)

........ i'll try and blow some glue in.

Many thanks, Andrew

I got the wrong end of the stick! Thought the joint was broken.

I second:

Prising open the split; work some glue in there then clamp up.
John :)

top doctor!!

he gave me three syringes and an array of different needle sizes!!

He's gonna look stupid though if I become a PVA junkie.

gonna prize it open about a mil and inject some iglue n. Haven't got an air compressor and don't fancy getting glue on my lips!

Thanks for all your advice, Andrew

As you don't have a compressor try dragging the glue into the opened, slightly, crack with the edge/corner of a piece of paper. Glossy magazine paper works well if you don't get lost in the pictures.
xy

fobos8":21tfo1fd said:
top doctor!!

he gave me three syringes and an array of different needle sizes!!

He's gonna look stupid though if I become a PVA junkie.

gonna prize it open about a mil and inject some iglue n. Haven't got an air compressor and don't fancy getting glue on my lips!

Thanks for all your advice, Andrew
Andrew,

They'll just think it's plaque! :lol:

John :wink:

fobos8":25mpwt2h said:
Haven't got an air compressor and don't fancy getting glue on my lips!

Try a drinking straw, if you can suck the glue up through that.... No but seriously, use the straw to extend your mouth. It is surprising the draft that can be produced.
xy

Latest posts

Back