Dogs for benches...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had my existing dogs on this bench for around 10 years or so and they're now getting a bit worn and scabby...so I've just made some new ones! :D

DSC_0004-5.jpg

The old ones on the left are the original, spring-loaded Krenov style ones that can be found in one of his books...not difficult to make but these would only stay about 15mm or so above the bench surface, whereas the new ones will stay a lot higher, useful or holding taller stuff like boxes etc.

But they can also be set at any height needed:

DSC_0006-4.jpg

...as well as going completely flush with the bench top. In order to do this miraculous feat of woodworking I've pinched an idea that I saw at Pete Sefton's bash last year...

DSC_0005-3.jpg

...and inserted a couple of sprung loaded ball catches. You don't need any special timber to make these, but I just happened to have a lump of Wakansian rosewood :mrgreen: (hammer) under the bench that was almost the right size. What's even better is that apart from working fantastically well, you don't need to spend the equivalent of Greece's debt on fancy Veritas bench pooches - Rob

Hmm. I've always put the catch on the side of the dog rather than back; always thought it made sense to avoid depressing them when in use and avoid any danger of "premature droppage". (Technical term wot I've just made up ;) ) But very fancy, Rob; puts my two sticks of beech to shame. Not, I admit, difficult. :oops:

Alf":hp0l7xbu said:
Hmm. I've always put the catch on the side of the dog rather than back; always thought it made sense to avoid depressing them when in use and avoid any danger of "premature droppage". (Technical term wot I've just made up ;) ) But very fancy, Rob; puts my two sticks of beech to shame. Not, I admit, difficult. :oops:
Not fancy at all Al, took me about 20 mins to make 'em and most of that was getting Waka's rosewood to fit the 'oles in the bench and the ball catches cost me the grand sum of 60p each in town this morning...but they do work nice 8) - Rob

Philipp":3g84bdl7 said:
Very nice, Rob!

Where did you get the sprung loaded ball catches from and how are they mounted?

Regards, Philipp
On this side of the pond, they're fairly common in any hardware shop, but what the situation is like in the US...dunno, but I should think they're easy enough to get hold of. I just drilled two holes, one at 12mm for the brass collar that you see in the pics and another 9mm one underneath it to hold the brass body of the catch. Glued in place with a dab of quick cure epoxy - Rob

Hi Rob,

woodbloke":nmiqhuci said:
On this side of the pond, they're fairly common in any hardware shop

I was with Peter last Saturday and was asking him where he got his catches from. At the time, I didn't know what they were called.

He looked on Screwfix and they didn't seem to do them, but Rutlands do some very "natty" brass ones at about 7 pounds. :(

So, I'll keep on looking.

Thanks,
Neil

I think I must have found mine amongst the debris of an old tool chest purchase, 'cos I have no memory of buying them. Pretty sure I've seen them in the "Home Hardware" independant-but-kinda-really-a-chain ironmongers we have down here. Robert Dyas or such might be the equivalent up country?

And Rob, they're rosewood. They have smart L-shaped tops. They are decidedly fancy. I should probably take a (blurred) photograph of mine just to show just how unfancy a mutt a bench dog can truly be. :D

Alf":1v3x1fnd said:
And Rob, they're rosewood. They have smart L-shaped tops. They are decidedly fancy. I should probably take a (blurred) photograph of mine just to show just how unfancy a mutt a bench dog can truly be. :D

Yebut, Al...I just happened to chance upon a lump of the stuff in the oddn'sods drawer under the bench and all I had to do was lop it in half and take a few shavings off to make it fit the 'oles. The 'L' shape was cut straight off the bandsaw and the top and bottom were smoothed on the disc sander. I know it's rosewood, but t'ain't all that posh...I was going to use African Blackwood but couldn't find a bit the right size - Rob

Waka":2mv1ss9v said:
Nice ones Rob, but they could do with a Shellac finish :D :D
...and it was damned inconsiderate Tony, to give me offcuts that weren't exactly the right size for wot I needed, I had to spend at least 10mins getting them to the right size :D :D ...but they do work a treat, so I'm very grateful, ta :wink:
Catch up with you on the 9th...gona be a great day! :D :mrgreen: (hammer) (hammer) - Rob

Very timely this idea as I`ve not long finished making a bench & dogs were on my to do list, but always looking for the cheapest option I decided to see if i could utilize some latches I already had.

Latch on the right, ball holder cut down & disassembled middle, turned down on my wood lathe & re-assembled left.

CIMG6869.jpg

Finished Beech dog.

CIMG6878.jpg

Cheers.

woodbloke":29p6r5et said:
Waka":29p6r5et said:
Nice ones Rob, but they could do with a Shellac finish :D :D
...and it was damned inconsiderate Tony, to give me offcuts that weren't exactly the right size for wot I needed, I had to spend at least 10mins getting them to the right size :D :D ...but they do work a treat, so I'm very grateful, ta :wink:
Catch up with you on the 9th...gona be a great day! :D :mrgreen: (hammer) (hammer) - Rob

Glad you reminded me of the 9th, forgot all about it. Do you know what the Itinerary is?

Back