dogs and workshops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shim20

Established Member
Reaction score
a few of you on here must have dogs in your workshop? im thinking of getting a border terrier for bit of company at work, just wondered about the dust everywhere dose it effect them much must do? or do you have a special place for him/her?

Before I built a wall between house and shop the dog often came through to say hello if the door was left open. I would kick him out if I needed to do dusty work or use a machine. Dogs tend to run from violent noises of machines but if he caught my eye while operating or thought it was a good idea to run for a reason and slit on some dust into me its all a risk of injury.

I used to like him being there though but did worry as I bet his lungs are smaller then mine and would knock off any dust mask I try to put on him :D

I have thought of getting a "workshop dog" (as i call them) as we have an Akita currently but I have always wanted a German Sheppard. I couldn't put the alarm on though and think it would be cruel for him to live in there. Also messy :(

it wouldn't live in there just be there when i am, could always make it up a little box to go in, if i took him with me from day one surely get used to it?

Unfortunately the dust has made mine a bit of a thicky.
I now have 2, the other one is become stupider every day, therefore conclusive evidence that dust shrinks the brain and also makes them pong worse.

dsc0007uu.jpg

doctor Bob":39walreg said:

Setters don't start off with much of a brain anyway.

We used to have Gordon Setters rather than the Irish (red) Setter that you have, but they are all as thick as can be. A beuatiful creature with a wonderful temperament, but oh dear! how stupid.

Our last Gordon Setter used to pee all over the hall floor :roll: :roll: if I left a pair of trainers on the stairs to take up later. She was terrified of them. When taken for a walk she would spook at the slightest sound (a car door being shut for example) and crouch down shivering with nerves (or bolt in any direction if she was not on the lead). We only put up with her because she was so friendly!! :x :x

Mike

When our Isla (Westie) was very tiny I shooed her out of the workshop to do some sanding. While sanding on my belt sander I kept hearing this sort of snuffly sneezy noise. A quick search and no sign of the source so i carried on same again snuffle, sneeze, cough!

Eventually I found her on the shelf under the bench covered in dust she must have sneaked back in. I made her i little cubby hole and she used to come out and keep me company when i wasnt doing anything dangerous but in recent months we have started to call her "Health and Safety" as she will paw me if if i pick up (never mind switch on) a power tool. She was in the workshop when i had a bowl fly off the lathe so maybe that spooked her. I decided to invent a new range of workshop wear for dogs. Safety Doggles and Doggeralls :) (Only kidding)

IslayZZZZ.jpg

Both of our dogs will come into the workshop when I'm in there but they don't stay long and they definately don't like the noise of power tools and I worry for their hearing if I'm using the planer.

I'm almost certain that they just come to see what I'm doing and to reassure themselves that I'm still around :D they are wonderful companions, better than almost any humans I've known in a long and varied life, we have a very rural homestead and sometimes I don't see anyone from Monday to Friday but I see our dogs every day and that makes me happy.

henton49er":2x2ritmg said:
doctor Bob":2x2ritmg said:

Setters don't start off with much of a brain anyway.

We used to have Gordon Setters rather than the Irish (red) Setter that you have, but they are all as thick as can be. A beuatiful creature with a wonderful temperament, but oh dear! how stupid.

Our last Gordon Setter used to pee all over the hall floor :roll: :roll: if I left a pair of trainers on the stairs to take up later. She was terrified of them. When taken for a walk she would spook at the slightest sound (a car door being shut for example) and crouch down shivering with nerves (or bolt in any direction if she was not on the lead). We only put up with her because she was so friendly!! :x :x

Mike

LOL, we had a gordon before the 2 irish, what a nutter, these 2 are so easy compared to the Gordon.

doctor Bob":eaucvzru said:
I now have 2, the other one is become stupider every day, therefore conclusive evidence that dust shrinks the brain and also makes them pong wors

I think there might be a few woodworkers in that category :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back