Dog run

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Wonder if anyone can help me with a problem our neighbour is having. They have two dogs, a mother & daughter. The younger dog is Houdini reincarnated. The owners have arranged for a man to biuld a run for them, but he seems to be dragging his feet a little. My idea is to try to obtain (legally of course) the 2-or-so metre high crowd control galvanised steel barriers as the dogs seem to be able to demolish anything else in no time flat.

I have googled, (Doctor says I'll go blind :lol: ) But no luck. only a U.S. site had anything like what I was looking for. It's the type that they put around building sites that I'm looking for.

So, finally, the question, (hooray). Does anyone know of anywhere that sells this stuff please?? Preferably West Yorkshire. I was asked to research this & I can't think of a better crew to ask.

Thanks in advance. Cheers, sliver.

P.S. Sorry to go on but I don't get out much. :( :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Sliver,

Not quite sure what you mean. Are you thinking of Heras Fencing? If so they have a branch in Doncaster.

If that is what you're after, they must be some dogs!

Hi Sliver

Have they thought of razor wire :wink:

Seriously, not sure whether you are looking for a permanent or temporary barrier.

This link might help as I think your solution may well rest in the agricultural arena.

You don't say what type of dogs they are. Dogs will go under, through or over any barrier given half a chance...depending on breed. The crowd control fences in slimjim's reply won't stop any self-respecting dog from going under...especially if it's a littl'un.

Something like this perhaps
saluk2-704115.JPG

or THISsystem.

Hi, Simon, Rogr & Your Lordship. :lol:

Thank you all for your time & trouble. All your links are VERY helpful. It is exactly the type of stuff I was thinking of. Of course said neighbour doesn't want to spend a lot of money. (We all know that one don't we?). The problem is that when the dogs do get out, they terrorise the local children. BTW they are a bit of a "57" variety in answer to you question Roger. I think they are lovely dogs, but as the kids tease them whenever they can, then the dogs chase & (so far) bark at them. Neighbour has been reported & has to keep them penned in or face the consequenses. I think that as they can dig under a fence as well as chew through it then it would be a good idea to anchor the panels into the ground on scaffold tubes which are in turn concreted into the ground. That & pave or concrete under the bottom rails to make it too far for them to tunnel under. Good idea do you all think? It has to be permanent.

Thanks again so much guys.

cheers, sliver. Gotta go, gainful employment beckons. :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

I built my dog run about ten years ago. When I did it I built a frame work out of 2 by 2 with the bottom 2 foot being ply wood. The top part is 2" galvanized mesh. Still going strong today. I have since built another for a friend to a similar design. He bought is mesh from a steel stock holder. This was expensive but he needed it quickly and he was able to collect it. When I bought mine I can remember it was about £50 including delivery as it was slightly lighter and can on a roll. I can recall the name of the company but I can tell you it was from a classified advert in Cage and Aviary Birds.

I hope this helps.

Gary

Hi Gary,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Sounds like you made the right choice of materials as it is still good 10 yrs on. I spoke again with my neighbour last night, (Friday) & she says it looks like the bloke has made a start on the dog run he promised them. He did build the kennel that the dogs use & it seems to be holding up well.

My neighbour did say they had used chicken wire but the older dog chewed right through it depite the wire cutting all the soft tissue in her mouth. :shock: She looked like a vampire dog so there's no wonder they scare the kids off. :lol:

We'll have to see how it all "pans out". I wouldn't mind betting I have a dog pen to build in a few weeks time. Watch this space.

Cheers, sliver.

Back