Dog holes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm putting round ones in mine and making the dogs to suit with dowel and a square head.

Andy

Hi Dave
Mine are square. There are pros and cons.

Square in square holes do not turn when you apply pressure. But if you need to hold weird shaped stuff they are less accommoding than round ones.

One option is to have square holes and a mixture of square dogs and round dogs for different jobs.

HTH Steve

Yes. 19mm or more strictly 3/4" holes. Like this:

My bench which currently has square holes - actually they will fit in - but not very well.

medium.jpg

Drilling the holes.

51910121.jpg

In use - just visible.

52873530.jpg

The line of holes visible.

52873717.jpg

I recommend running a 45 chamfer to the top of the holes. The first time I pulled a hold down (these have ribs on them), it caused some breakout. The dogs/pups are smooth so wouldn't cause the same problem.

Adam

Just another thoughThe round veritas dogs turn to accomodate unusual shapes, they have a "flat" on them.

Adam

Just think, Adam, if only you'd waited you could have bored the holes the proper way. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. En route at last, btw.

Alf":26vpo8yn said:
Just think, Adam, if only you'd waited you could have bored the holes the proper way. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. En route at last, btw.

The following error was encountered:

* Access Denied.

Access control configuration prevents your request from being allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel this is incorrect.

Is your photo offline?

Adam

My round dog holes shrink and expand with the season, which means to me when it is damper I have to hammer the dogs to move them! :cry: (50% of the time)

For this reason I will be building square dogs next time, as with the lip and spring you can build in a lot of clearance and avoid this.

Does any other round doggers have this problem?

Adam":1no60i98 said:
Is your photo offline?
Nope, must be that taking the lazy route and using Blogger doesn't work. Hang on...

How's that? Or has your 'puter still got a hate against Uploadit? :)

Cheers, Alf

How are you cutting the square holes? Mortiser or just old fashion chisel?

I"m going to be putting round holes in mine, mainly for the reason that I have a bunch of dowling laying around that I can make use of, but also to combat seasonal change, I would make the bench-dog a smidgen smaller than the hole so it moves quite freely, and then just run a couple of lengths of masking tape around it until its a tight fit, this then becomes adjustable throughout the seasons with expansion and shrinkage.

ByronBlack":37eclm18 said:
a couple of lengths of masking tape around it until its a tight fit, this then becomes adjustable throughout the seasons with expansion and shrinkage.
Can I put forward the humble ball catch? My bench dogs aren't a particularly tight fit, but as long as they're tight enough for a small ball catch to, er, catch, they'll hold at various heights. But to be fair I've not tried them in a round hole, so it may be a duff suggestion in this case, but FWIW.

Cheers, Alf

WiZeR":2ug5m3or said:
How are you cutting the square holes? Mortiser or just old fashion chisel?

The easiest way is to make them as you are building the top, rather than trying to cut them out later. Before you glue on the front strip, use a router and cross-mortising jig (see my website) or a RA saw, or a dado head (who suggested that?) to cut a series of notches. When this strip is glued to the front you will have square holes.

Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back