Dog hole drilling bush

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMALMALEKI

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I came across this 19mm ID steel bushing apparently for drilling dog holes on workbench. I can’t find it in any UK based shop or website. It is on fine tool and Lee Valley Tools.
Has anybody seen , used or even better have one?

SMALMALEKI":2qayu2mp said:
I came across this 19mm ID steel bushing apparently for drilling dog holes on workbench. I can’t find it in any UK based shop or website. It is on fine tool and Lee Valley Tools.
Has anybody seen , used or even better have one?
If you aren't regularly making workbenches (or making mft tops) probably not worth it.

I marked and measured mine and used a Shinwa 19mm bit with a drill guide. Perfect crisp results.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

I only have a battery powered drill. The Axminster drill guide does not fit those.
The bushing is only £7-8. Little price to pay to save the bench top.

If you have a bench drill or access to one, get a piece of gash 4" x 2" and put a 19mm (or 20mm if your holdfasts need a 20mm) through it, clamp it down where needed as a guide. If you are likely to want to bolt down a bench morticer, drill stand or anything else think about where you put your holes and you can kill two birds with one stone. I can swing my drill in its stand out over the vice.
It's not difficult to get the holes vertical if you have someone sight it for you front to back - you can see any error side to side, and a mm or two either way doesn't matter a jot anyway.

https://www.workshopheaven.com/star-m-j ... ngles.html
Drill 4 practice holes first. Then go for it. Visually check for 90 degrees front and back, adjust for 90 degrees side to side. Have faith hold steady and drill. I worried about this for longer than drilling the holes in my bench actually took. Holdfasts and one dog work in every hole no worries. Get on with it! :wink:
These bits exit better than they enter so drill from underneath or clamp the entry not the exit holes with scrap.
If you can get a star m auger bit you wont need to cover either hole. Workshop heaven doesn't sell them any more other than in a set so you will maybe need to go to dieter schmid and pay postage. Not ideal. https://www.fine-tools.com/bohr3.html or just buy a cheap 19 mm bit for very occasional use.

Use a round headed stone to finish the entry and prevent any splintering etc. Buy them for pennies. This is just to show type.
https://www.epicworldstore.com/products ... ccessories

Cheers
Chris

SMALMALEKI":2wgukwll said:
I only have a battery powered drill. The Axminster drill guide does not fit those.
The bushing is only £7-8. Little price to pay to save the bench top.
The Axminster guide is the one I have.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

I have read the thread. I thought the bushing and hand made jig would be the preferred option but couldn’t find it in the UK.

Bushings don't give precision, they give a longer lifespan. You don't really need the lifespan gain here I think. A homemade drilling guide made even in pine can last well enough with care when using it, certainly should give long enough service to drill dog holes for a single bench. And if it doesn't just make two of them to begin with! It's just a few bits of pine :)

Also remember that you can reduce the wear and tear on a drilling guide by removing it once a certain depth of hole has been drilled. The start of the hole in the workpiece then becomes the guide to drill the remainder.

ED65":1do2yfp5 said:
Bushings don't give precision, they give a longer lifespan. You don't really need the lifespan gain here I think. A homemade drilling guide made even in pine can last well enough with care when using it, certainly should give long enough service to drill dog holes for a single bench. And if it doesn't just make two of them to begin with! It's just a few bits of pine :)

Also remember that you can reduce the wear and tear on a drilling guide by removing it once a certain depth of hole has been drilled. The start of the hole in the workpiece then becomes the guide to drill the remainder.

Thank you for the advice. The bushing will is to be used in a home made jig. Although the jig can be used without a bushing as you have described.

Attachments

• E2678F64-C964-4811-9B19-89331731FF04.jpeg
    E2678F64-C964-4811-9B19-89331731FF04.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 52
Back