Dog bones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as it's not cooked it should be ok, as they splinter. Don't give them chicken or Turkey either as there hollow and splinter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a dog trainer out a while ago and asked him about the chicken bones thing and he said it's absolute bllocks!

Yes they can and do splinter but he says it's an old wives tale that has grown over decades. He feeds his dogs (all 6) on both raw and cooked chicken wings and says the bones are good for cleaning their teeth and they get broken down in the gut and cause hard stools having the benefit of expressing the anal gland.

He reckons he's fed his dogs that way for 25 years and never had a single incident.

Not saying its a scientific view, but what he said and does and has worked for him. We have been doing the same since, raw chicken legs/wings every couple of weeks as a treat and the only thing I've noticed so far is a much higher occurrence of white poo! :)

Apparently the bones is the cause, and the reason we don't see as much now as in the 80's is because the food standards have risen such that all commercially available dog food has to be fit for human consumption after pensioners took to eating it in the 80's due to lack of money. Apparently that forced the removal of a lot of bone products, which were ironically good for the dogs for the reasons above.

Or so I'm told...

Cheers
Mark

I knew a guy who bred and raced greyhounds, and he fed them chicken carcases (we both worked in a hotel) - all he did (if he got a leg) was take the long needle like bone that runs parallel to the main leg bone out, as he maintained that it was it's flexibility that made it dangerous - it was liable to stick in throat. What truth there was in that I don't know, but he must have used thousands of carcases in the time I knew him without ever having a problem.

phil.p":eyk1olx0 said:
:D I watched a friend eat two thirds of a large can of Chappie one night in a bar - he only stopped because his jaw eventually exhausted, the stuff is so sticky. He regularly put dog food in curries.

He must have been barking mad...

My dogs have a raw food diet, chicken carcasses, bones, minced triipe, all raw.
Way less dog poo and no stink. Plus it makes their meals last longer.

TrimTheKing":qgbi66ay said:
... the only thing I've noticed so far is a much higher occurrence of white poo! :)

That brings back memories of walking to and from school - when did all the white poo disappear!

doctor Bob":39xn5lp8 said:
My dogs have a raw food diet, chicken carcasses, bones, minced triipe, all raw.
Way less dog poo and no stink. Plus it makes their meals last longer.

what about the occasional cake #-o

Back