Does your spouse have any odd habits?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_W

Established Member
Reaction score
Not intending to make a thread where anyone posts something that will get them in trouble, rather quirks that you find funny.

I thought I may have posted this in the past, but I think more that I thought I should and then didn't.

Here's one of mine (spouse's, not mine). When it's trash day, everything in the house has to go out. If the bathroom can has three q tips in it, they need to go out. If the kitchen can is half full, it needs to go out.

Why? "it can't sit in the can all week - it needs to go out NOW!"

I often frustrate the mrs. on purpose by waiting until right around when she'd normally gather all of the cans (which really means she will also demand that I pitch in "go empty all of the cans!!")

...."sorry, can't...walked the cans up the driveway about an hour ago" :)

The mrs also has a strange thing - she will walk the bags or the recycling can (the small inside can that gets emptied into the bigger can) down the steps to the door to the garage, but she will not go through the door and put them in the larger cans. I think this is because I took over the garage and made it into a shop, and it's definitely an honest mess. So sometimes she one-ups me by walking the bags to the bottom of the steps to the garage pretending she didn't know that I took the cans out..

..and I get stuck fetching them and walking them out to the cans.

I would be starting to talk about filling the tank around the same time. My spouse, on the other hand, likes to see if I'll fill the car. The problem with that is I ride public trans most of the time and drive about 1/20th of the miles that she does, so she'll let it get pretty close.

My mrs. is otherwise very conscientious, and so is her brother (he's a music teacher and one of the type who tries to do everything for everyone and is genuine - always giving of his time - unlike the person typing this post). However, her brother will allow the fill light to come on on his car and then start asking "do you think I can make it to X? It's been on for 25 miles" (we have the same car).

Let's pretend his name is Roddy (it's not even close to that). I say "Roddy - we will pass 3 gas stations on the way to X - why not stop at one and get gas? Why not stop when the light comes on in the first place? How do you know that it's actually indicating two gallons left correctly - what if it's off and indicating at a little over 1?

"yeah, I guess you're right" (proceeds to drive all the way to X without stopping and then says "I made it here - how much farther do you think I can go?"

Well, if we're just gambling now and running a pool at when it's going to run out, I guess I'm game. Now, I don't think your sister is so bad about the gas thing - she panics if the light comes on. In 28 years, I literally have never seen it myself on any car that I drive.

A spouse of someone I know 🙄 hates it and gets quite agitated when the gas gauge needle gets to a quarter tank even when the distance to empty says 150km.

Pete

I hate that, Makes me nervous if I only have 1/4 tank wheras my wife will happily drive arpund until she's running on fumes.

I grew up in a pretty rural area, not a great deal of fuel stations nearby and the ones that were nearby weren't always open so you had to plan when you were going to get fuel. I also hate not having cash in my wallet incase wherever I go doesn't take cards.

Says she's so tired and then cleans the house from top to bottom.....

Cheers James

My wife said she would leave me if I got a dog....

Cannot decide on lab or spaniel......!

Cheers James

mine kept driving the mower in the lake or the ditch.....make me laugh every time......
ps ...we have moved now....only need the mower for the months of Feb n March....after that the garden goes back to a desert.....
no ditches anymore.......hahaha...
IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

Always reloads the dishwasher before putting it on, so I now just shove stuff in. One time I found her reloading it as 'I'd done a bad job and stuff will come out dirty', even though I'd purposefully washed and put away the few bits I'd used by hand that day. Obviously didn't point this out and from this point stopped taking it personally and just let her get on with it. My odd habit is I never totally finish the washing-up (for the non diswashable stuff), some how there are always a few bits left over, no matter how hard I try,

Always reloads the dishwasher before putting it on, so I now just shove stuff in. One time I found her reloading it as 'I'd done a bad job and stuff will come out dirty', even though I'd purposefully washed and put away the few bits I'd used by hand that day. Obviously didn't point this out and from this point stopped taking it personally and just let her get on with it. My odd habit is I never totally finish the washing-up (for the non diswashable stuff), some how there are always a few bits left over, no matter how hard I try,

Same - spouse repacks the car if I pack it, too. I don't know why, but she does (OCD - except that's not her reason as far as admission goes). She always has explanations, but they make no sense and I like to argue, so I try not to hear them. It's a trick - you think that a strange explanation is an opportunity to address the situation - but I guarantee it is not!!

(There are some rules about which dishes can go in the dishwasher and where in the house that I don't understand, but MIL is a woman of rules -the kind that don't necessarily agree with the operating manual for appliances, so again - I've learned the hard way that getting the manual out and pointing to pictures that don't have an X on them vs. the ones that do - presumably those are for illiterate people - that's not as good of an idea as it would first seem to be).

Same - spouse repacks the car if I pack it, too. I don't know why, but she does (OCD - except that's not her reason as far as admission goes). She always has explanations, but they make no sense and I like to argue, so I try not to hear them. It's a trick - you think that a strange explanation is an opportunity to address the situation - but I guarantee it is not!!

(There are some rules about which dishes can go in the dishwasher and where in the house that I don't understand, but MIL is a woman of rules -the kind that don't necessarily agree with the operating manual for appliances, so again - I've learned the hard way that getting the manual out and pointing to pictures that don't have an X on them vs. the ones that do - presumably those are for illiterate people - that's not as good of an idea as it would first seem to be).
Agreed best not to interfere best let her pack the car!

Also the Christmas/ birthday presents let her do the shopping and wrapping and show feigned interest on Christmas day. She's thought of it already and if she hasn't it's a rubbish present idea!!

Cheers James

Leaving kitchen drawers open. For the past year she has started to do this all the time, opens a drawer, gets out what she wants and never closes it again.
I’ve asked her why, she doesn’t know.

I wasn't being serious!
Well obviously! The only dog worth owning is a long dog. Or a lurcher.

My odd habit is I never totally finish the washing-up (for the non diswashable stuff), some how there are always a few bits left over, no matter how hard I try,
That's me, that is. Males are hunters, looking to the horizon for wildebeest, whereas females are the gatherers, looking at all the coloured nuts and berries. I can always spot a wildebeest on the horizon, but I'm not so good with the visual equivalent of nuts and berries, so these days I don't even bother looking in cupboards for things, but just ask - it's so much quicker. The washing up thing is odd - apparently we have a stealth cheese grater.

Back