Does this seem a good price for sawn boards?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking at SL Hardwood's website, American Oak seems pretty reasonable. £4.34 / m for 1 x 6. How does this sound to you? It's all kiln dried apparently.

British Hardwoods are £5.37 for the same. And delivery times are 2-3 weeks!

Has anyone used SL before? I'm tempted ...

Cheers

Gidon

Gidon,

Yep, used them before and they're okay. Just watch out for their delivery charges. Pretty appalling when I last looked. :shock:

Cheers, Jester

Thanks Jester - yes the delivery charges are pretty bad - but I don't think they as bad as they used to be. I just priced up 12m of 1x6 and delivery was £20. British hardwoods seem a lot better if you want to order a lot at £15 for any sized order - but they are a bit more expensive to start with and delivery is too long for impatient me.
As far as I can tell it seems better values to buy wider boards? Or have I got my (basic) maths wrong:
(From SL) 100mmx25mm wide board 3.10/m; 200mmx25mm board 5.59/m. I thought wider boards were pricier?
So was the wood well selected?
Thanks,
Gidon

Hi Gidon

The 6 x 1 American Oak works out at 32GBP/cu.ft. which seems a mite expensive to me, or am I not living in the real world!!!

On second thoughts, don't answer that.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil
I have no idea I just tend to buy wood as I see it. It's good being able to compare prices on the web. But it's also good to hear that I would be being ripped off. I probably will try atkins and cripps tomorrow. Will see what their prices are like. Just it's a bit of trek ...
Cheers
Gidon

Neil
Thanks for that info - I just phoned Atkins and Cripps in Plymouth - their price for American Oak is £18.94 / cu ft for 1" thick boards. Seems more like it. The bloke on the phone at SL hardwoods had said their price for was unrealistic because they buy in bulk (ie it's a bargain!)
Cheers
Gidon

Well just had a little trip down to Atkins and Cripps in Plymouth (of particular interest to any sou' westers). I can highly recommend them. Very friendly service. Helped me pick some boards out. One chap even strapped them all the car for me! Nice spacious yard - they haven't got any cutting or planing capability so you'll need a p/t.
The 1x8 3m length (5 of them) boards cost £50 inc VAT and all look very good. I imagine I will be going back for more!
Oh yeah the chap was saying Idigbo is very popular and very cheap - anyone used it? What's it like to work with?
Cheers
Gidon

Back