Does this screw centre go inside this set of jaws?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Record SC3 fits just the same, still bring the tailstock up to begin with though, I'm a pessimist :)

(plus I don't have a bandsaw so any 'home made' blanks start out as octagons or hexagons off the sliding mitre saw)

The very fact that this topic has generated so many responses shows why ever since I started turning I have avoided screws. I recommend abandoning them for a glue chuck; turn up a sacrificial flat plate with a dovetail in it and use a hot air gun to heat up workface and chuck - three small flakes of wax glue, heat to melt and a first rate support.
Rob

The very fact that this topic has generated so many responses shows why ever since I started turning I have avoided screws. I recommend abandoning them for a glue chuck; turn up a sacrificial flat plate with a dovetail in it and use a hot air gun to heat up workface and chuck - three small flakes of wax glue, heat to melt and a first rate support.
Rob
A screw chuck is a safe way to turn a piece of wood if used correctly the same as a chucking point in the jaws

I’ve just measured the length of thread on my screw & it’s under 1”
A4902B7E-7EBA-4136-8462-115A25B26264.jpeg

when installed Dalboy’s way there’s only just over 1/2” protruding, personally I wouldn’t be happy holding a blank on the lathe on such a short piece of thread.

Last edited:
Your screw chuck looks like the one I got with my Record power SC4 chuck.
More than likely the same, I bought mine 16 years ago when Sorby had the distribution rights for Nova & this came with their supernova chuck, soon after Record Power started distributing Nova & I seem to remember they updated their chunk.

Here are a couple of images

Attachments

• 85A8B790-FFEF-47F4-9692-175F3EC088B0.jpeg
    85A8B790-FFEF-47F4-9692-175F3EC088B0.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 270ED185-5BD2-4989-80B0-F196E35665AB.jpeg
    270ED185-5BD2-4989-80B0-F196E35665AB.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 2
  • B013638E-75AC-4820-A28F-CA29C8962F55.jpeg
    B013638E-75AC-4820-A28F-CA29C8962F55.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 2
I have avoided screws. I recommend abandoning them for a glue chuck; turn up a sacrificial flat plate with a dovetail in it
This may be a stupid question but how do you hold your blank while you turn the foot without screwing the blank to a face plate or screw chuck? I remember turning the outside of the bowl to match a pre-turned plug with PVA cartridge paper PVA (modern equivalent your hot glue) but I always had to screw the blank to a face plate in the first place. As I remember this also involved using two face plates, one for the blank the other for the plug.
I ask this because I want to turn some coasters from wood too thin to put screws into and have been wondering how to do it without wasting a lot of wood.

Cooper,
You would use hot glue for speed, or pva and paper joint if not in a hurry or not got a glue gun. (A situation in which I find myself, soon to be remedied, I hope - Though need another socket for the gun!)

Greg - I'm not sure but I do wonder if with coasters double sided tape may be a better option as the face cutting force will be low and I'd worry a bit about breaking the bond to the glue, though popping them in the oven to soften it would do.

Otherwise the answer to you opening queston is between centres to create a dovetail, and then sand the centre pop away or centre it up on a jam chuck from some Kingspan to remove the dovetail.
Rob

Rob,
Good thinking re double sided tape - I like that. And cheaper than glue gun!

I like the king span idea, too - I knew I was right to keep the off cuts "just in case" 😉

Back